PART: 31

I managed to strike the dummy with my projection power. I got on my knees and thanked the heavens and Landon for letting me be able to finally shoot. "You have to find your in between place," he said while I had my eyes closed. "You're not mad, nor happy. Focus on wanting to use that power and it will come naturally. Find the balance and it will stay with you."

Even though it took me two hours, I still did it. After that, it was smooth sailing. The rest of the week, I got better with my power. It began to come naturally to me. I was able to wave my hands and the power would come from within me at any speed or strength I desired. With more practice, I will become a master at it.

********

"Don't be a dick," I say into the phone.

Pete laughs. "I'm not being a dick. Jack is annoying and he has no talent."

"You're half true," I admit.

"I'm all the way true," he says. Last week, we ran into Jack and Raven again. They wanted to start shit and with me being the bigger person, I turned the other cheek and left with Pete to the coffee shop.

"Jack is a dick, but I can't be that mad at him. I mean we painted together since high school."

"Why do you think he wanted to paint with you? You have more talent and he just copied off of that," Pete says. "You clearly took the lead when we painted that Eagle and you know it."

I shrug. "It's a done deal." I took charge of that because I knew what I wanted. It came out perfectly the way I invisioned it. Jack has always been the one to take most credit even though he didn't do half the things. I didn't mind because I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish.

"Are you ever going to go back to painting?" Pete askes.

"I'm not sure," I say. "I want to. I really do but I have to get back on my feet more before I do and work on not getting caught." I don't need to be in the police station again after how far I've come. "How is Taylor?"

Pete sighs. "I don't think I can take much more of her. She nearly decapitated me because I didn't have my napkin on my right knee when we went out to dinner."

"Sounds like she hasn't changed," I say.

"No, she hasn't," he says with irritation. "I think I'm gonna have to break it off with her."

"About damn time!" I say. "Pete, you can do so much better than her. You're nice, she's not. There's gotta be some girl who's bound to love you. I mean, c'mon. You wear Polo shirts."

He laughs. "Yeah, I don't know when I'm going to do it though. Pray for me, please?"

"I got you. I'm thinking after class we can go get some tacos."

"I'm down for that."

"Rowen?" Landon steps into my view on the side of me. I get nervous and I don't know why.

"Uh...Pete, I gotta go," I say.

"Okay, bye."

I put the phone back up. "Hey," I say.

"Was that your boyfriend?" he asks suddenly.

"What? Pete? No. No! N-no! Pete's my best friend," I say with emphasis. Dating Pete would be like dating a tree. It's not suppose to happen. When I said finding that right girl, I meant someone who would be good to him. Not a bum like me. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah. I was just looking for you. You're still coming so you can practice more aren't you?" Landon leans against the wall with his hands in his pockets.