PART: 09

[▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎]

[▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎]

"Get in the car," Charles demands. I rise up, coughing from the contaminated air. Landon holds his stomach and coughs up the dirt that we have breathed in.

We rush to the black car that is parked in the lot. I reach for the handle of the back door. We crawl in quickly with Charles starting the engine up with the keys. The car rolls out past the student-body outside with news vans. The view is shaded due to the car's tinted windows.

"Nobody saw, did they?" Landon panics.

"I'm not entirely sure," Charles says, glancing over at him.

Landon laughs madly then drops his hands in his lap. He moves his arm on the edge of the passenger seat door. "Thank you, Rowen. Really, thank you for possibly letting everyone know who we are," he complains.

"Possibly, which means there is the same chance to someone seeing us as to someone not seeing us," I say in a matter-of-fact tone.

"There is more of a chance of someone seeing. And if that someone did see, the word is going to get around. Then they will know who we are and the OFH will be done with!"

"Whatever makes you feel better drama queen. I promise to let you get crushed by a roof next time."

I saved his fucking life. Not a "thank you, are you okay," nothing. Absolutely nothing. Only attitude and his whining. It's shouldn't matter right now if someone did see. We are alive. I saved us, no thanks to him.

Landon turns his head to look out the window. I sit up with my hands on the head rests of Charles's and Landon's seat. I can't help but stare at Landon. It's the way his red hair is swept over his forehead, his light ocean eyes that change from green to blue staring out into the streets, his pink lips slightly open on his face. He's wearing all black. He does look good in black. Why do the good looking guys have to be jerks?

"Would someone explain to me what the fuck that was out there?" I say.

Charles turns to a busy road. We get caught in traffic between taxis and more news vans. I imagine hundreds of them at the campus.

"We will talk more at the facility," Charles says, looking in the rearview mirror.

"I want to know now. We almost died. So what in the hell is going on?"

I see Landon clutch his jaw, still looking out of the window.

Charles sighs. "We are tracking down the location as we speak, but there is a place that is using humans as experiments to create abilities in one's body," he says. "They are deadly and are ment to cause chaos. We're on standby until that happens."