PART: 32

Chloe's room is decorated to where it shows her quirky personality. She has a rug beside her bed that is pink and fuzzy, a scented candle that rests on her bed side, and pictures cut from magazines laid out against the walls. I haven't bothered decorating my room. I don't have the money or the time to do it.

I sit down at her chair with my legs pushed out from the back and my arms draped over the top. It's nice to have girl time, considering Chloe is my only friend who is a girl. I've always gotten along with guys better but they aren't the ones to talk about boys with.

"Isn't it obvious that he's into you?" Chloe says. Her hair rests on one shoulder as she sits on her bed with her back against the wall cuddling with a pillow.

"I don't think it's like that," I say. "I just think that he sees me more as someone he can talk to, you know?"

"And that he likes you," she throws in again. I slouch down. I'm afraid of the fact that he does take an interest in me like that. We are not alike it many ways and it would lead to major complications. "Do you like him?" Chloe looks at me like she already knows the answer.

"Um....no."

"Don't lie to me," she says. "You've liked him since the moment you got here."

"How the fuck did you come up with that?"

She settles into a comfortable spot, moving the pillow closer to her chest. "You get annoyed by him. I see the way that you look at him and the way he looks at you. How could you be so blind? He couldn't keep his eyes off you when we train. He was harder on you and that was a clear indication that he was interested."

"I don't know," I say, raising my eyes to the ceiling. I want him to like me, but I don't want to get my hopes up either. Friends go out and have pizza together. They bring cheesecakes to each other. What would be the difference that Landon and I have?

"You like him," she says like it's a fact written in stone.

"Let's say.......let's say we do like each other. It wouldn't work, Chloe. We're both technically crime fighting superheroes. I have a hard time as it is showing up to classes and concentrating as it is, much less a romantic relationship." I know exactly what it would be. It would be a distraction.

"If it means that much to both of you, then you make it work," she answers.

"I'm not sure I wanna make it work. I don't want it to crash and burn."

"Well," she shurggs. "That's a decision you'll have to make."

Should I risk us trying this even though I don't know his true feelings and with all the other shit that is happening between us? Why can't things ever be simple? I clear my throat.

"Let's talk about you and Cifer," I say. She giggles and begins going on about how much she loves it when he plays jokes on her and how they laugh at an inside joke. I want that to be with Landon and I, but I don't think he will be willing to sacrifice his ways, nor will I be able to sacrifice my ego. I put on a smile and laugh when I need to but on the inside, it kills me.

"You know that we have gotten to know each other for awhile, but I don't know that much about you," I tell her.

"Same for you. Aren't you just a mystery."

"Can't help myself."

"Okay, let's see," she says, searching the air around us for words. "I have a dog named Will at home. We're not allowed to have pets here but I miss my buddy. My parents and I are close. We talk like everyday and I go and see them when I can. I have a story."

"Let's here it."

"Okay, it was in the summer three years ago and my parents took me to a forest to camp. I've never been camping and I always wanted to go. My parents camped out a lot before they had me and said it was really fun. We found a spot in the woods and read and talked until it got dark. Well, the trip was horrible. I kept getting bit by mosquitoes. My mom ended up wiping her ass with posion ivy and sat down in ants. My dad tried to fish but fell off the boat and got covered in leaches! It's hilarious looking back but it was miserable at the time."

I throw my head back in laughter. "That sounds very bad."

"It was! It was right before my sophomore year of high school and I went to school with red bumps all over me and I had to take my school photo looking like I had bad acne."

Strangely, her bad encounter made me feel better. "In high school, I was terrified of getting in trouble. I did bad things but I didn't like getting punished and all. There was this one time I wanted to see how the sprinklers worked in the school so when everyone went to lunch, I got on top of a desk and put a lighter by the sprinkler and something went wrong with the sensor so it sprayed the whole school instead of just the one room. Girls had their mascara down their faces, burgers got soggy, a lot of people were falling and tripping on the ground. I couldn't stop laughing but I had a hoodie to cover up. I didn't get caught and that was the best part."

"And I thought you were a "good" kid," Chloe cackles.

"I am. I really am. I just got into the wrong things," I say with dissapointment. It all goes back to my parents thinking that I was a failure at everything I did and still do. I love them because they are my parents but I want to prove them wrong and always have. That day still hasn't come.

Chloe exhales, letting her head fall back to the wall. "Rowen, I want the relationship my parents have. You have to see the way they look at each other. Besides me, they are each other's world. They are constantly holding hands, kissing. My dad holds open the door for her and buys her everything she wants and she returns the favor. I honestly think they were meant to be together. I want that. I hope I get it. It kills me not being able to see them. I'm so close to them and it's like cutting off a limb. I guess that's a con to being a superhero."

My parents have a professional relationship in private and out the house. They never show PDA and I don't see a spark when they look at each other. The way Chloe described her parents relationship is what true love should be like. I wish my parents would treat me like they actually love me. But they don't and I have to live with that.

I know this is a short chapter but I want you to get to know Chloe a little bit better and show more of Rowens frustration with Landon. Action will be coming up soon. It's been kind of slow but I want you guys to get attached to the characters. Bye my peeps!