16 - Gone

I roll over on the bed, hands tugging at the blankets to cover my body better. The inside of the bunker wasn't hot or cool, yet I felt the need to be completely under the covers. Once I'm comfortable again, I instinctively reach out for Charlotte, feeling slight comfort in knowing she's beside me and not with Murphy. My hand pats the bed instead of her arm. Sleepily, I reach further out, assuming that she rolled over on her side.

My fingers reach the side of the bed and find thin air. In less than a second, my eyes snap open. The bunker is dimly lit with the candles that are still burning. Suddenly wide awake, I push myself up in a sitting position to find Charlotte in the dimly lit bunker.

"Charlotte?" I call out for the little girl that I've grown very protective over.

Only silence fills the bunker.

"No, no, no!" I begin to freak out. I climb to my feet, shoving my shoes back on. "Shit!" I exclaim when I realize that she left us. I pull my jacket back on. I snatch up one of the paint brushes off of the table and throw it at Clarke and Finn, who had fallen asleep on the couch. "Get the hell up! She's gone!"

I don't bother waiting for them as I climb up the ladder. I climb out of the bunker and shut the door behind me. Night has fallen by now. Darkness surrounded me in every direction I looked. I eye the dirt beneath my boots for small boot prints. Once I spot some, I head in the direction that they were headed in.

How far could she have gotten? When did she even leave? Why didn't I wake up?

I race through the woods, only guided by the moonlight shining down between the trees.

"Charlotte, where are you?" Murphy shouts in the distance.

His yell catches me off guard and I slide on the ground. My feet slip on the dirt and I quickly head in the opposite direction. Murphy hasn't caught her yet which is very good. If Murphy catches me, I'm dead. He wouldn't think twice about killing me for protecting her.

My legs easily carry me over fallen down trees and small holes in the ground. I push myself faster, praying that I am running in the right direction towards Charlotte. I have to find her before Murphy or anyone else does.

I reach a small break between the trees and slow down to a stop. I snap my head around in every direction. Behind me, Murhpy and his gang sounds even closer than before. My head turns to the right just to see a dark shape headed straight for me. I open my mouth to scream, automatically assuming that it's Murphy.

The guy wraps their arm around my waist with their other hand clamped around my mouth, cutting off my scream. The two of us stumble backwards into a tree. Rough bark presses against my back as he presses against me. I fight back against them.

"Shh! Shh!" Bellamy hushes me. His face suddenly lit up by the moonlight in this new angle.

I immediately quit squirming in his grasp. I suck in a breath, relieved. His hand falls from my mouth, but his other arm stays wrapped around my waist. "Bellamy!"

"Where is she?" Bellamy demands.

I shake my head, rapidly. "I-I don't know. We had fallen asleep in this underground bunker and the next thing I know, she's gone."

Bellamy curses under his breath. "We have to find her."

I nod. "I was following her tracks, but then I had to switch directions when I heard Murphy." I rush to tell him in a whisper. "We- We can't let Murphy get ahold of her."

"Charlotte!" Murphy shouts from nearby.

Bellamy lifts his head to listen to Murphy. His eyes widen at something around the tree. "They're coming."