28 - Gossip

Shutting one eye, I peer through the scope of the rifle held in my hands, solely focusing on the white mark on the tree around two hundred yards away. I breathe in through my nose, exhaling out of my mouth. My finger rests on the trigger, gently. The butt of the assault rifle against my right shoulder just like I've been taught. The wind is calm. My boots firmly planted on the ground in the correct position.

I press down on the trigger. The rifle kicks back enough for me to jolt backwards slightly. I lower the gun, waiting for the sound of the bullet hitting the tree. 

"Damn." Miller lowly whistles. His hands clap together when the sound of the bullet burying in the tree ricochets throughout the trees.

A smile spreads across my face. I peer back through the scope, checking to make sure that I hit the target perfectly. Miller holds his hands out. I pass the gun over to him. 

Miller checks the tree through the scope. "Bellamy might kill me for helping you with this, but, damn you're a good shot." He lowers the gun down. 

"Thanks, Miller." I smirk, proud of myself. "I really appreciate you teaching me. Jasper taught me a little bit, but he's too preoccupied telling his heroic story right now." I chuckle under my breath. 

"No kidding," Miller scoffs. "He's already told me about how he saved the day yesterday twice." 

I shrug my shoulders. "Usually, everyone in the camp kind of ignores him. He's just enjoying that everyone see him as a hero now. There's no harm in that." 

"We should probably head back to camp. We shouldn't be out here after dark." Miller suggests. 

I nod my head and begin to walk back to camp. We didn't go too far from the wall. The gunners were told to keep an eye out for us, not to shoot if they saw two people near the wall. Miller keeps the gun in his hands while keeping an eye out for any Grounders.

Bellamy and Clarke took a couple of people with them to check out the Exodus ship that came down last night. The explosion was huge and there was no way that anyone could have survived it. They left early this morning to see if they could find anything useful to us or any reasons for why they crashed. 

I offered to stay back at camp, mainly because I asked Miller to teach me how to use the rifles better. I didn't really want to see the crash site either. There were probably little kids on the ship. They most likely boarded the Exodus ship thinking that they would be able to see earth for the first time. Now, they'll never get to see it.

"Can I ask you a question?" I speak up after a few minutes of walking in silence. The slight bobble of his head answers my question. "Do you know why Bellamy won't let me have a gun?"

Miller shrugs his left shoulder before saying, "I don't think he wants you to get hurt, but after seeing you hit the mark with every shot, I don't think he has to worry about that."

I purse my lips in concentration. "Has he ever talked about me?" I try to casual ask. I grimace at the amount of curiosity heard in my voice. 

"Are you seriously asking me that?" Miller demands. He holds one hand up in the air as we approach the wall. 

The guards on watch lower their weapons when they see it's just the two of us. "Open the gate!" Someone yells from the inside of the wall. "Wren and Miller are back."

"What?" I frown, befuddled. 

"Don't drag me in the middle of your lover's spat." 

I burst out in laughter, "What?" 

Miller leads the way into the camp. He spins around once we are back inside of the camp with the gate shutting behind us. "Look, everyone knows you two are into each other."