30 - Cure

The cloth material is pressed over my nose and mouth. I watch as Clarke checks Octavia for any signs of the virus that is quickly taking over the camp. For a brief second, I felt Bellamy's gaze linger on me before he looked back to his sister. 

"Okay," Clarke lowers the light from where she was shining it into Octavia's opened mouth. "We're done."

Octavia steps back from her, sticking her tongue back in her mouth. I stand beside her, patiently waiting to see what else Clarke had to say. More people were growing sick and we told everyone who suddenly developed any symptoms to go to the dropship. Luckily, everyone has been listening to us. 

"No visible signs of swelling or bleeding." Clarke weakly leans against the ladder behind her. Exhaustion was taking over her body. 

Bellamy lowers the cloth from his mouth, clutching it in his hand. "So, you're saying she doesn't have it?"

"I'm saying she doesn't have symptoms, but that could change. We need to keep her here, just in case." Clarke says. 

"No way. Look at this place." Bellamy motions to everyone sick in the dropship. "She'll get sick just being here."

"Why do I have to stay and Wren doesn't?" Octavia demands. slightly aggravated. 

I lower the cloth to speak. "I didn't touch Murphy."

Clarke peers at Bellamy, who seems to be against the idea of it all. "Do you want to stop the spread or not? Look. I'll keep her on the third level with the people who aren't symptomatic yet."

"Think of it as a way to stop her from sneaking out again." I tell him, silently hating myself for throwing Octavia under the bus like that.

Octavia gawks at me, with a look of betrayal on her face. "Screw you, Wren."

I remain quiet. There was a plan brewing in my mind and I needed Octavia to be told to stay in here to make it work. With Bellamy separated from her, she would have the chance to sneak out of camp without him being aware of it. 

"I'll let you know if her condition changes." Clarke promises him.

Bellamy remains silent and walks out of the dropship without looking back. I watch the curtain move back into place before looking back to Octavia. She's seconds away from climbing up the ladder to go to the third level.

"Octavia, wait--" Clarke and I said in unison. The two of us share a look, realizing that we were planning the same thing. Both of us want her to sneak out of camp to see if Lincoln has a cure. 

I nod at Clarke, silently telling her that she can be the one to tell Octavia. My feet carry me out of the dropship and I tuck the cloth into my back pocket. The rest of the camp are still doing their shifts. 

My eyes drift over the group of people on the guard of the wall. They stop on the back of Jasper's head. He is in a conversation with Harper, both seemingly to be in better moods than how they were earlier. Maybe he apologized for being an ass. 

Two guys carry the last body out of the dropship. They carefully set the body on the ground with Derek's, right outside of the dropship. Not even an hour has passed since Clarke issued the quarantine and two people have already died. 

If there is a cure, we were not aware of it yet, considering that Octavia has not returned from her secret trip to Lincoln. He was the only one that could potentially help us. We have no idea how long this virus is supposed to last for. We just need answers. 

"All right," Bellamy's loud voice broke through the silence of the camp. Everyone had stopped what they were doing to watch the bodies be carried out. "Show is over. Get back to your posts."