Hogwarts Express

Chapter one

I was eleven when I recieved my acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Hello, my name is Scarlett Selvin. Most people stay out of my way because...let me put it this way, I dare you to find someone fiestier than I am.

As you probably know, I was sorted into a house (as were the rest of the first years). I wanted to be in Slytherin or Gryffindor because those were the houses that my parents belonged to. My mother was a brave Gryffindor with a heart of solid gold, and my father a Slytherin whose ambition set him apart. I grew up in an environment that led me to believe that every house was as good as the others. So yes, I do mean that either way I'll make friends from other houses. I glanced around the hall. There were hundreds of teenagers, and I was a bit overwhelmed, but I kept my composure of course. I was taught that at a young age. It is always necessary to keep your cool.

"Scarlett Selvin." The lady read off my name in her simple, elegant voice. I felt almost out of place when I listened to it. I'm was born in the United States of America, my parents fled England right after the first war, so most of these accents made me sound like a pirate or something. I strode confidently to the front, smirking while I sat on the chair.

The sorting hat was large, and it smelled a bit weird to me, draping to cover my eyes. The voice was low and secretive almost as though it held the fate of the world in its palms...even though hats technically don't have palms...whatever.

"You are intelligent, a true sign of a ravenclaw; you like to learn, striving to be the smartest. But your bravery shines through... you are well known for your courage, and you have been through a lot. Although your sly, ambitious personality is strong and overpowering. You wouldn't fit with the ravenclaws or the Gryffindor so it must be SLYTHERIN!" I felt then as if I had done my daddy proud as I stood up with a large smile on my face from the brilliant news I had just received.

A slytherin girl, just like my father. I closed my eyes and told my dad the news, imagining him beaming and hugging me tight, his eyes matching mine in color. He nodded. "I'm proud, kiddo. Keep up the great work. I love you." I heard him say. My eyes fluttered open, and I was welcomed back to reality by the sights and sounds of an excited great hall.

I smiled smugly as the table dressed in green and silver erupted with cheers. I turned and walked confidently down to the table. I sat next to a stunning boy who's hair was platinum blonde. His eyes were silver and mysterious while his skin was creamy and pale. I didn't like being this close to him; he gave me a bad vibe. I shivered violently, and the boy looked at me, his confusion showing through. I was careful not to make eye contact. I just picked at my meal and kept glancing at the boy. He seemed preoccupied, but I didn't mind that he wasn't paying attention to me. After I ate, I walked over to my best friend as well as my new friend. They were all staring at me.

I didn't understand what was happening or why they were looking at me like that. Rivalry was friendly, right? The house you were placed in didn't really matter....did it? My head was swarming with questions, but I just closed my eyes. It's going to be okay, I thought.

"I can't believe you're in slytherin" My friend Ron said through his food. I just shrugged. Why did it matter, I mean it only meant that I was sly and ambitious, what's so wrong about that? Nothing in my opinion; he's just biased. Everyone in his family has been a gryffindor. I honestly don't think he deserves it. He should be a Hufflepuff. He's not particularly brave in my opinion. I mean I love Ron...but still.

They all looked at , me expectantly, as if I was supposed to say "no, I didn't. It was just a practical joke, I'm a gryffindor." but I didn't, I sat quiet for a few minutes before opening my mouth to speak to the people who called themselves my friends.