Chapter 5 (Updated)

Kayla in the mm

### One Month Later...

### Beyoncé's POV:

Things with Chris have spiraled into a nightmare. His temper and violence have escalated to a point where I can't hide the bruises anymore. My arm is bruised, another is broken, and my lip is swollen from his blows. It's unbearable, but I can't let Neveah see me like this. She's my strength, and if she knew the extent of what I'm enduring, I fear she'd do something reckless.

**Knock Knock**

**Neveah:** Mom, can I come in?

**Beyoncé:** Honey, I'm... sleeping.

**Neveah:** No, you're not.

**Beyoncé:** Honey, go away. I'm busy.

I turn away, hiding the tears threatening to spill. I can't face Neveah like this, not now. She deserves a life free from this chaos, and I'm determined to protect her, no matter the cost.

### Neveah's POV:

My mom and Chris have been arguing non-stop lately, and it's wearing me down. I can feel the tension in the air, thick and suffocating. I stumbled upon divorce papers the other day, hidden away but not well enough. Why would Beyoncé keep this from me? We've always told each other everything, shared every joy and sorrow.

I decide to confront her, but when I knock on her door, she brushes me off with a weak excuse. I know something's wrong, but she won't let me in. Frustrated and hurt, I retreat to my room, trying to push away the worry gnawing at my insides.

**Next Day:**

### Beyoncé's POV:

I wake up with a heavy heart, knowing what I have to do. Despite the love I once had for Chris, I can't endure this anymore. His violence has shattered our relationship beyond repair. I sit at the kitchen table, divorce papers spread out before me, trembling slightly as I trace my finger over the lines.

**Neveah:** Mom, what are these?

I freeze at Neveah's voice behind me, her tone a mix of confusion and concern. I hadn't meant for her to find out like this, not yet. But there's no turning back now.

**Beyoncé:** Neveah, sit down. We need to talk.

She hesitates before taking a seat across from me, her eyes searching mine for answers I'm not sure how to give.

**Neveah:** Are you and Chris... getting a divorce?

Her voice is barely above a whisper, filled with a vulnerability that breaks my heart. I reach across the table, taking her hands in mine, wanting to shield her from the pain I know she'll feel.

**Beyoncé:** Yes, honey. I've filed for divorce. Chris... he's not the person I thought he was.

**Neveah:** But why didn't you tell me? We tell each other everything.

**Beyoncé:** I wanted to protect you, Neveah. I didn't want you to worry or feel like you had to... do something.

**Neveah:** Like what? Like run away?

Tears well up in her eyes, and I feel the weight of my choices crushing down on me. I never wanted Neveah to witness this kind of pain. She deserves a stable, loving home, and I failed to provide that.

**Beyoncé:** No, honey, not like that. I just... I didn't know how to tell you. I'm so sorry.

She pulls her hands away, retreating into herself, and my heart breaks all over again. I've let her down in the worst possible way.

### Neveah's POV:

My world feels like it's crumbling around me. The realization that my mom and Chris are divorcing hits me like a ton of bricks. I thought they loved each other, thought we were a family. But now everything feels shattered, broken beyond repair.

**Neveah:** How long has this been going on?

**Beyoncé:** Too long, honey. I should have... I should have done something sooner.

Her voice cracks with emotion, and I can see the pain etched into every line of her face. I want to be strong for her, but I feel so lost, so betrayed by the reality I thought I knew.

**Neveah:** What happens now?

**Beyoncé:** We'll get through this, Neveah. Together. I promise.

But her words offer little comfort. The uncertainty of the future looms large, casting a shadow over everything I once believed in.

**Neveah:** I just don't understand why he did this. Why he hurt you.

**Beyoncé:** Sometimes people change, honey. Sometimes we don't see the signs until it's too late.

I nod silently, the weight of her words sinking in. Chris wasn't who we thought he was, and now we're left picking up the pieces of our shattered family.

**Neveah:** Mom, I'm scared.

**Beyoncé:** I know, sweetheart. But we'll get through this. I'll make sure of it.

She gathers me into her arms, holding me close as we both try to find solace in each other's embrace. Despite the pain and uncertainty, I cling to the hope that we can rebuild our lives, stronger and braver than before.

**Neveah:** I love you, Mom.

**Beyoncé:** I love you too, Neveah. More than anything.

And in that moment, amidst the wreckage of our once-perfect family, I realize that love and resilience will see us through, no matter what lies ahead.