Chapter 28: No Turning Back (Updated)

**Neveah's POV:**

Why me? Why do I have to go through this? I never knew my biological parents, and my siblings died that night. I didn't know my adoptive mother would be beaten to death, my daughter's father would commit suicide, and I would be going through this with August.

Faith: *"Mwommy, where is new dwaddy?"*

Neveah: *"Umm, honey, he won't be coming back for a while."*

Faith: *"What?! How? I woved him,"* she says, crying.

Faith cries herself to sleep, but today I'm going to bring her to Kayla's house. I do my hygiene routine (outfit in mm) and wash Faith's hair, keeping it in wet curls. I put her in shorts and a tank top.

After I drop my princess at Kayla's house, I head over to August's house to speak with him.

**At August's House:**

When I knock on August's door, a half-naked woman answers.

???: *"Hi, who are you?"*

Neveah: *"My name is Neveah. How about you?"*

???: *"I'm Matia. Who are you here to see?"*

Neveah: *"Umm, is August here?"*

August: *"Matia, baby— Hi, Neveah."*

Did he just call her "baby" and then say hi to me?

Neveah: *"August, can we talk outside, please?"*

August: *"Yeah, sure."*

Neveah: *"August, I love you, but this proves to me that you can't be trusted. I'm sorry, but I can't be your wife. I can't be your girl. Ask Matia; she would probably love to."* I say, crying.

August: *"Neveah, I didn't mean to hurt you. I want to be with you. There is no other girl I want to be with but you."*

I couldn't face August, so I just left. I couldn't be with him anymore. Matia was clearly the one for him, so he should just be with her. I feel bad for him, but if I didn't do this, I would have gotten hurt.

**August's POV:**

I fhucked up, man. I didn't want to be with Matia's ass. All she wants is money. Neveah is loyal and never hurt me. For me to do this and lose her and Faith is dumb. I need her. I want her. I can't live without her.

**One Month Later:**

Neveah's POV:

August has been calling my phone, but I've been ignoring him. He's not worth my time or Faith's. Faith turned 4 one week ago, and I cry when I say that because she's getting older.

Text Message:
August: *"I need your help now!!!!!"*

Omg, what does he need? I hope he's not hurt. I quickly dial his number, my heart racing as I wait for him to pick up.

August: *"Neveah, thank God you called."*

Neveah: *"What's wrong, August? Are you okay?"*

August: *"No, I'm not. I... I think someone's after me. I don't know who, but I've been getting these threats. They're real, Neveah. I don't know what to do."*

My breath catches. *"Where are you? Are you safe right now?"*

August: *"I'm at home. But I don't feel safe here."*

Neveah: *"Stay there. I'm coming over."*

I hang up, feeling a mixture of fear and frustration. August has always had a knack for getting into trouble, but this sounds serious. I grab my keys and head out the door.