Chapter 22: He's Back? (Updated)

**Neveah's POV:**

Ever since I bumped into that guy, I've been unable to shake the feeling that there's something important I'm missing. His voice, his presence—everything about him left a lingering chill that I couldn't ignore. But life didn't stop for my confusion. Today, I had errands to run and a day planned with my baby girl, Faith.

I decided on a casual yet trendy outfit: a blue crop top, matching blue shorts, a diamond necklace, a yellow watch, and yellow and blue sneakers. I went for a light makeup look—just enough to feel put together but not too much to draw attention. I felt like I needed to keep my focus on the day ahead and not get sidetracked by my lingering thoughts.

"Faith, honey, are you awake?" I called out as I approached her bedroom.

"I bween awake, bwut you was too bwusy to notice," Faith replied, her voice tinged with attitude.

"Faith, watch your tone with me. I'm sorry I was getting ready. Let's not start the day on a sour note," I said, trying to keep my voice calm despite the frustration bubbling inside.

I styled Faith's hair into a curly afro and dressed her in army pants, a belly top, and her Jordan 13's. She looked cute and ready for the day. I let her settle in to watch "The Backyardigans," hoping that she'd be entertained while I made breakfast.

As I was heading downstairs, the doorbell rang. I went to answer it, expecting a delivery or perhaps a neighbor, but instead, I found August standing on my doorstep.

"Hi, Neveah," he said, his voice hesitant.

"AUGUST?! What are you doing here?" I exclaimed, my heart racing. The sight of him brought back a flood of memories and emotions I wasn't prepared to deal with.

"I wanted to come see you and Faith," August began, his eyes filled with a mixture of guilt and desperation. "I messed up big time. I was jealous of how you always talked about Jake. And now that you're 18, I wanted to take advantage of that. Will you ever forgive me?"

His words hit me like a punch to the gut. I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I struggled to process what he was saying. "I'm really confused... You assaulted me, and now you expect me to just forgive you? I can't. You should go before... umm... before Faith comes downstairs."

August's face fell, and he looked like he wanted to say more, but I couldn't handle it. I needed him to leave, and I needed to be alone to process everything. I closed the door firmly, leaning against it as I tried to steady my breathing.

The encounter left me feeling shaken and disoriented. I couldn't believe he had shown up unannounced, trying to seek forgiveness after everything that had happened. I needed to talk to someone who could help me make sense of this. The only person I trusted with such matters was my mom.

I quickly grabbed my keys and told Faith that we needed to visit Grandma. Her curiosity was piqued, but she didn't protest. As we drove to my mom's house, I could barely focus on the road, my thoughts swirling with the morning's events. Faith chattered away in the backseat, but I barely registered her words.

**At My Mom's House**

When we arrived, I could see the familiar sight of my mom's house, a place that always felt like a sanctuary. I parked the car and helped Faith out of her seat. Her innocent excitement about visiting Grandma helped ground me a bit.

"Mom, are you home?" I called out as we entered the house.

"In the kitchen, dear," my mom's voice came from the back of the house. The smell of something baking in the oven greeted us, a comforting and familiar aroma.

I found her in the kitchen, her hands busy with preparing breakfast. She looked up and her expression softened when she saw us. "Neveah, darling! And Faith too. What a nice surprise!"

I hugged her tightly, my emotions spilling over. "Mom, I really need to talk to you," I said, my voice cracking.

She looked at me with concern, leading us to the kitchen table where we could sit and talk. Faith went to play with her toys, leaving us some privacy.

I recounted everything that had happened that morning—August's visit, his apology, and my overwhelming sense of betrayal and confusion. My mom listened intently, her face growing more serious with every detail I shared.

"Oh, Neveah," she said softly, her voice filled with sympathy. "I'm so sorry you had to face that. It's understandable that you're feeling this way. You don't have to forgive him, especially not right now. What he did was wrong, and it's okay to feel hurt and confused."

I nodded, tears streaming down my face. "I just don't know how to move forward. Seeing him again brought back so many painful memories. I thought I had dealt with it, but now everything feels like it's falling apart again."

"You need to take it one step at a time," she advised gently. "Focus on healing, both for yourself and for Faith. It's important to surround yourself with people who care about you and to find ways to cope with these feelings. It's okay to seek professional help if you need it."

Her words were a balm to my troubled soul. I felt a little bit of the weight lift off my shoulders, knowing that I had her support. "Thank you, Mom. I really needed to hear that."

Faith came running back to us, her face lighting up with joy. "Gwandma, can I have some cookies?"

"Of course, sweetheart," my mom said with a warm smile. She handed Faith a cookie, and for a moment, the normalcy of the situation helped ease my anxiety.

**A Path Forward**

After spending some time at my mom's house, talking and seeking comfort, I felt a renewed sense of clarity. The visit had been helpful, and although I was still processing everything, I knew I had to focus on my own well-being and that of my daughter.

The day ended on a hopeful note. As I drove home with Faith, her laughter in the backseat was a reminder of what truly mattered. I resolved to find ways to heal and move forward, not letting August's actions define my future. With my mom's support and the love of my daughter, I felt a glimmer of hope that I could navigate through this challenging time and find a path towards healing and happiness.