Chapter 17: Wakeup Call? (Updated)

⚠️Trigger warning ⚠️
This chapter talks about sexual assault which may be triggering to some readers. READER DISCRETION ADVISED!!!

**Neveah's POV:**

I'm going to meet up with August today. I dropped off Faith at my mom's place because I don't want them to meet quite yet. I want it to be a surprise when the time is right. The plan was to meet at a diner, but as I finish getting ready, my phone rings.

*Ring Ring*

"Hi, umm, can we meet at your place instead of the diner?" August asks over the phone.

"Sure, I guess," I reply, a bit taken aback by the sudden change in plans.

Now, I have to quickly adjust. I decide to wear my hair in curls, apply light makeup, and put on my army jacket over a black shirt, adding my favorite necklace to complete the look. I want to feel comfortable and confident, even though I'm a little nervous about him coming over.

*Knock Knock*

"Hey, umm, come in," I say as I open the door.

"Yeah, thanks," August responds, stepping inside and looking around.

I lead August to my room, where it's more comfortable and has a flat-screen TV. As we sit on my bed, I notice him staring at me intensely. Suddenly, he starts putting his hand down my shirt.

"August, I'm sorry, but I can't," I say, trying to push his hand away.

"Why? Trust me," he insists, his voice taking on an edge.

"No! August, I can't," I repeat, more firmly this time.

Without warning, he slams me down on the bed. Panic surges through me as I struggle to get free, but he pins my hands down. I keep telling him to let me go, but he keeps kissing my neck. Desperate, I knee him in his private area and scramble towards the door. But before I can escape, he grabs me by the back, slams me against the wall, and slaps me.

"Please, stop!" I beg, tears streaming down my face.

"Shut up and stop telling me what to do," he snarls, punching me in the stomach.

Then he drags me back to the bed and starts pulling down my pants.

"PLEASE STOP!" I scream, my voice breaking.

At that moment, the door bursts open.

"GET OFF OF HER OR I'LL SHOOT!" my mom yells, holding a gun.

August freezes, his eyes wide with shock. "I'm sorry, but aren't you Beyoncé?"

"Yeah, and I told you to get off my damn daughter," she snaps back, her voice deadly serious.

"She's your mother?" August stammers, looking confused.

"Adoptive mother," I manage to say through my sobs.

August scrambles out of the house, and I collapse onto the floor, crying uncontrollably.

My mom rushes to my side. "Honey, are you okay?" she asks, her voice full of concern.

"Mom, he was going to—" I choke out, unable to finish the sentence.

"But I came, and he's gone now," she says, holding me tightly.

"Mom, thank you. I... I love you," I whisper, my voice trembling.

"I love you more than life itself," she replies, tears in her eyes.

"Where's my princess?" I ask, suddenly remembering Faith.

"With Chris," she says calmly.

"MOM, ARE YOU CRAZY? CHRIS ALMOST KILLED ME BECAUSE I MOVED IN!" I shout, horrified.

"Don't worry, honey. He's changed. He's sober now," she tries to reassure me.

"I can't trust that. Let me go pick her up," I say, pulling myself together and grabbing my keys.

As I drive to pick up Faith, my mind races. I can't believe what just happened. I'm grateful my mom was there to stop August, but now I have to make sure Faith is safe. I can't risk anything happening to her.

When I arrive at Chris's place, I see Faith playing in the yard. Relief floods through me as I scoop her up into my arms.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" she asks, sensing my distress.

"Nothing, baby. We're going home," I say, holding her close.

As I drive back home, I make a promise to myself. I need to be more careful about who I let into our lives. Faith is my priority, and I have to protect her at all costs. Today was a wake-up call, and I won't let anything like this happen again.

Back at home, I put Faith to bed and sit down with my mom. We need to talk about everything that happened and figure out how to move forward.

"Mom, thank you for saving me today," I say, my voice still shaky.

"I will always protect you, Neveah. You're my daughter, and I love you more than anything," she replies, her eyes filled with determination.

"I know, Mom. And I'm sorry for all the times I pushed you away. I just... I don't know how to deal with everything sometimes," I confess, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders as I speak.

"We'll figure it out together. You don't have to do this alone," she says, holding my hand.

As we sit there, I realize how much I need my mom. Despite our past struggles, she's always been there for me, and I need to start appreciating that. I also need to be stronger for Faith. She deserves a mother who can protect her and provide a safe, loving environment.

The next morning, I wake up with a renewed sense of purpose. Today is a new day, and I have to be stronger, not just for myself but for Faith and my mom. The trauma of what happened with August is still fresh, but I won't let it define me. I have to move forward and make better choices.

I call my mom to check on her. "How are you feeling today?" I ask.

"I'm fine, Neveah. Just worried about you. How are you holding up?" she replies.

"I'm okay. It's going to take some time, but I'll be alright. Thank you again, Mom. I don't know what I would have done without you," I say, meaning every word.

"You don't have to thank me. Just promise me you'll be more careful from now on," she says, her voice firm but loving.

"I promise," I say, feeling a sense of resolve.