Chapter 27: Back to Square one (Updated)

**August's POV:**

Neveah told me to go to my house, but I didn't actually go there. Instead, I went to my side chick Matias' house because she gives me that good good. But I knew I needed to go back to Neveah's house and face the music.

**Neveah's POV:**

August called me, saying he was coming over. I decided to wear a black and white crop top to show off my belly button piercing, gray and black leggings, and my black and white Jordan's. My hair was flat ironed, and I had a great sweater and gold earrings on. I wanted to look good, but inside, I was still hurt and confused.

**August Arrives:**

August: *"Hey."*

Neveah: *"Hi,"* I said under my breath.

August: *"Where's Faith?"*

Neveah: *"With Kayla. Why are you here?"*

August: *"Because you're my fiancée, and I need to be with you."*

I chuckled a bit. *"Now I'm your fiancée? Last time I checked, I was your attempt at a punch buggy."*

August: *"What are you trying to say?"*

Neveah: *"I'm trying to say maybe this engagement was a mistake,"* I said, about to cry. *"You haven't changed at all. If you ask me, you're still the same dumbass that tried to hit me. August, you said you loved me. Was that true?"* I was crying now.

August: *"And I do, Neveah. I fhucked up. I didn't mean to hurt you."*

Neveah: *"You should go, and umm, take your ring. I need some time to think."*

August looked devastated but didn't argue. He took the ring off my finger gently and left, closing the door softly behind him. The moment he was gone, I collapsed onto the couch, sobbing. How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?

**A Few Days Later:**

I spent the next few days at Kayla's house. She let Faith and Ki'andra play together while we talked. Kayla was my rock, helping me process everything.

Kayla: *"You did the right thing, Neveah. You need to protect yourself and Faith."*

Neveah: *"I know. It's just... I loved him, Kayla. I really did."*

Kayla: *"Love isn't enough when trust is broken. He needs to show he can change, not just say it."*

I nodded, knowing she was right. I couldn't let myself fall back into the same trap. I had to be strong, for me and for Faith.

**August's POV:**

I was a mess. I knew I had messed up big time, and now Neveah was slipping through my fingers. Matias meant nothing to me; it was a stupid, reckless distraction. I needed to fix things with Neveah, but how?

I started going to therapy more regularly, trying to work on my anger issues and the deep-rooted insecurities that led me to sabotage my own happiness. I wanted to be better, for Neveah, for Faith, and for myself.

**Neveah's POV:**

A week had passed, and I still hadn't heard from August. Part of me missed him, but another part of me was relieved to have the space to think clearly. I was starting to realize that my self-worth didn't depend on a man's love. I had Faith, and she was my world.

One evening, as I was putting Faith to bed, my phone buzzed. It was a text from August.

August: *"Can we talk? I know I messed up, but I'm trying to get better. I'm in therapy, and I want to show you that I can change."*

My heart ached. I didn't know if I could trust him again, but I also didn't want to close the door completely without hearing him out. I texted back, agreeing to meet at a café the next day.

**At the Café:**

When I arrived, August was already there, looking nervous. He stood up when he saw me and pulled out a chair for me. We sat down, and for a moment, we just looked at each other.

August: *"Thank you for coming, Neveah. I know I don't deserve it."*

Neveah: *"I'm here because I need to understand what's going on with you, August. Why did you get so angry that night?"*

August took a deep breath and started to explain. He talked about his past, his insecurities, and how he was struggling to deal with them. He admitted that going to Matias' house was a huge mistake and that he had cut off all contact with her. He wanted to focus on therapy and getting his life together.

August: *"I know it's going to take time to earn your trust back, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes. I love you and Faith more than anything."*

I listened, my heart heavy with conflicting emotions. I could see he was sincere, but I didn't know if it was enough.

Neveah: *"I appreciate your honesty, August. I can see you're trying, but I need time. I need to see consistent change, not just words."*

August nodded, understanding. *"I'll give you all the time you need, Neveah. I'll keep working on myself, and hopefully, one day, we can rebuild what we had."*

**The Next Few Weeks:**

August kept his promise. He attended therapy regularly, focused on his job, and stayed away from Matias. He respected my need for space and kept his interactions with Faith positive and supportive.

I could see the changes in him, but I was still cautious. I needed to be sure that this wasn't just a temporary fix but a real transformation.

One evening, as I was tucking Faith into bed, she looked up at me with her big, innocent eyes.

Faith: *"Mommy, why doesn't Daddy August live with us anymore?"*

My heart broke a little. *"Sweetie, Daddy August is working on being the best daddy he can be. Sometimes, grown-ups need time to work on things so they can be better for the people they love."*

Faith nodded, accepting my answer with the simplicity only a child could.