Chapter 16: You can't fix what's Broken (Updated)

Today, I'm going to my mom's house. I need to try and make things right between us. I decide to wear my favorite floral shirt, a pair of high-waisted shorts, my pink bracelet, a pink beanie, and my pink and white Jordans. I want to look my best, even if I'm not feeling my best inside.

When I arrive at my mom's house, I take a deep breath before knocking on the door. She opens it, looking surprised to see me.

"Hey, Mom," I greet her, trying to sound casual.

"Hi," she responds, her voice flat and expression guarded.

"You look shocked that I'm here," I say, trying to break the ice.

"Because I am. Did you rethink talking to me again?" she asks, her eyes searching mine for answers.

"Mom, I could never say I love you, but you are my mother and Faith's grandma," I admit, struggling with the words.

"So, when will you forgive me?" she asks, her voice breaking a little.

"I'll forgive you when I learn to forgive myself," I reply, feeling the weight of our strained relationship.

"Thanks for coming, but... umm... I have stuff to do," she says, turning away.

I know I've really messed up my relationship with my mom. I love her, but I don't know how to put that into words.

As we drive home, Faith pipes up from the back seat. "Mommy!"

"What is it, princess?" I ask, glancing at her through the rearview mirror.

"I'm bored," she complains, crossing her arms.

"How can you be bored? You have a game room, a dance room, a pool, and your own room," I remind her, slightly exasperated.

"Soo?" she whines.

"You are not grateful for anything you have, and that stank attitude better stop before I send you to your dad's mom's house," I warn her, my patience wearing thin.

"Fine!" she huffs, turning to look out the window.

She can be a handful sometimes, but I know how to set her straight.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting up with a guy named August. We met over Instagram, and he suggested we could meet up in person. I'm nervous but also a little excited. It's been a while since I've put myself out there, and I wonder what will come of this meeting.

As night falls, I sit on the couch, lost in thought. I think about my conversation with my mom, about Faith, and about this new guy, August. Life has been a whirlwind lately, and I'm trying to keep up.

I think back to when things were simpler. When it was just me and my mom, before all the drama and the hurt. I miss those days, but I know I can't go back. I can only move forward and try to make things right.

Faith comes over and sits next to me, resting her head on my shoulder. "I love you, Mommy," she says softly.

"I love you too, princess," I reply, wrapping my arm around her. Despite everything, I have her, and for now, that's enough.

I think about August again. Meeting someone new is always nerve-wracking, especially with everything I've been through. But maybe this could be a fresh start, a chance to find some happiness again.