Chapter 17: Plans

Toshiro's POV

I wonder how long she's been a Soul Reaper but not be wounded? Nearly every time I've seen her, she's either been hurt or recovering from some wound. She stumbled over to the crowd of my squad members and was caught by 18th Seat Takeda. He then proceeded to compliment and help Aika. I scowled slightly and went back to my position to watch the 8th Seat spar against Hyata.

"Hyata!" He looked over to me. "Don't get carried away this time. Even though you're using a wooden sword, you could still seriously hurt someone." Hajime grinned and held up a thumbs up.

After all of the other squad members went through defense, Aika was up again for her test in offense. "For your offensive test, you will be given a wooden sword and you will attack him. He will not attack back; he will only block. Do you understand?" I questioned. She nodded while closing her eyes and smiling. I felt the corners of my mouth twitch. "Is your shin feeling better, Aika?"

With a single nod, she said, "Yes, and thank you for asking, Captain Hitsugaya." She walked over to Hyata and with an inaudible comment to him, they started.

Aika circled around him while he complied, following her in a circle. After a few brief moments, Aika charged at him. She slashed at his side and then his leg, which Hyata narrowly blocked. Hyata became more serious, realizing Aika's skill was much greater than the others he was previously sparing with. They continued to flash step around the arena; Aika attacking him and Hyata blocking. After a minute, Aika finally hit his back. His back arched inward as she hit his leg while he was distracted. She went for another hit, but he blocked this one and jumped backwards, avoiding each of her attacks. Finally, after they created a rhythm of her swing left, him avoiding, her swinging right, and him avoiding, Aika finally swung at his legs. Hyata's eyes widened as he jumped and landed on top of her sword. I narrowed my eyes. He's never going to be fair when he spars against Aika, is he?

"That's enough!" I shouted. They both stopped and stared at me. "I'm done evaluating Aika. Hyata, will you please get off of Aika's wooden sword?" He nodded and jumped down. Aika walked towards me and handed me her wooden sword.

"How well did I do?" she questioned, concerning coating her eyes.

"Well." I smiled. "You did very well. Hajime doesn't seem to want to fight you at your level, so that's why it may seem tough. Even though he was fighting you more than he should, you still fought well against him." She smiled and bowed.

"Thank you, Captain Hitsugaya," she spoke and then rose. Ryusaki walked over to us.

"Hey, Aika. Are you and Rangiku doing anything tonight? I wanted to talk to you two," she spoke. I looked to her.

"Aren't you suppose to be sparing against those squad members?" I questioned.

She rubbed the back of her neck and laughed, "Well, Rangiku's giving a one over of the last guy I just fought. He was working on offense, I smacked his sword away and... Well, let's just say he might not ever have kids." She winked at Aika and Aika cocked her head to the side. Ryusaki laughed. "So, you in?"

"I guess. Rangiku will probably be able to go, too. Though, it's most likely up to Captain Hitsugaya." Aika turned to me and smiled. "What do you think, Captain? Can Rangiku have the night off so she can hang out with us?" Aika batted her eyes and I turned my head away, afraid that I may flush from her subconscious flirting.

"I'll allow it," I mumbled. I glanced back at Aika and her smiled grew into a childish grin.

"Thank you, Captain," Aika exclaimed while bowing. Ryusaki also smiled.

"Yeah, thanks," she spoke.

"Takara! Come on! The next guy is waiting!" Rangiku called.

"Coming!" Ryusaki yelled and then jogged back to her group. Aika turned to me.

"Captain, do you mind if I go back to my barracks so I can prepare myself for the night?" she questioned. I turned back to her.

"No, I don't. You may go," I stated. She smiled, bowed to me, and ran off while grabbing her Zanpokto. While trying my best to focus back on the spar, I noticed a glimmer of blue on the ground. I picked it up and examined it. A smiled grew on my face. Aika had dropped her signature butterfly pendant. I put it in my pocket and continued to watch the rest of the fight.