Chapter 5: Moving Up

Aika's POV

        "That was very good Aika. I would like to promote to 5th Seat in my squad. It's up to you if you want to be promoted or not," Captain Hitsugaya stated. I stared at him for the longest time. I was finally able to blink after about five minutes.

        "Yeah... Yeah! I would love that, Captain," I spoke with a bow, "Does Captain Hirako know about your plans?"

        "Not yet. I need to send a Hell Butterfly to him soon. We also need to get your's and Rangiku's wounds treated. Will you two go down to Squad 4 while I call Hirako?" he questioned. I nodded and Rangiku and I flash stepped away. Once we arrived, a unranked officer came to us and treated our wounds very quickly. He bowed to both of us and then hurried away. Rangiku and I decided to walk back to our squad.

        "I'm so excited that we get to hang out every day now! We should go drinking tonight to celebrate!" Rangiku beamed. I shook my head and smiled to her.

        "Rangiku, you know I'm not a drinker. Besides, I don't think anyone would like to really have a party with me. I barely know anyone here," I spoke. She frowned at me and furrowed her eyebrows.

        "What do you mean? I introduced you to all the captains and lieutenants three weeks ago," she stated. My head started to throb again. I massaged my temples until it went away.

        "Well that's strange because I really don't remember them. Maybe I could meet them again?" I suggested. Rangiku's face immediately brightened up.

        "That's the spirit!" she beamed while crushing me into a bear hug. "Does that mean that you'll come?"

        I sighed, "I guess."

        "YAY!"

        "OW! Rangiku! That hurts!"

Toshiro's POV

        Once I called the Hell Butterfly, it nearly immediately flew to me. I raised my finger to it as it landed softly on my index finger.

        "Ask Hirako if 9th Seat Aika Mori may join my squad as the 5th Seat," I spoke. Then the butterfly flew off. I walked into the squad cafeteria, bought some tea and candied beans, and walked back to my office. 

        More paperwork. Aika, even though she will help me reduce the amount of paperwork pressured onto me, she is going to cause some from transferring between squads and then I will get all of the paperwork dealing with her mission. I sighed and held my head. At least I have this break for today. Calming. Peaceful. I wish Rangiku would leave more often. I don't have to hear her complaining about a headache from drinking the night before, or her wanting to throw a party, or her wanting to skip out on her paperwork, or even her bugging me about Aika nonstop like she has for the past week. I've met her now. I hope she will stop with all the constant nagging about her now. I popped a few beams into my mouth and then took a sip of tea. I went over to my bookshelf and picked a book out of it. I sat down on the couch until I was comfortable and stared at the cover. I've never had time to read any of these books. It will be a nice break. I opened the book and started reading.

Aika's POV

        "...Then there's Squad 6: Byakuya Kuchiki is the captain and Renji Abarai is the lieutenant," Rangiku spoke.

        "I met him this morning," I said.

        "Byakuya?"

        "No, Renji," I spoke, "He's really nice."

        "He sometimes is. Other times, he can be a real pain," she complained.

        "Isn't he your friend?" I questioned.

        "Well yeah, but everyone has an annoying quality," she stated. I crossed my arms.

        "Oh yeah? Then what's mine," I smirked. She looked over at me with a grin on her face.

        "Well, I guess it would be how you're so formal and nice. You need to cut loose once in a while. You'll have no fun in life that way!" she teased while she punched my shoulder. I giggled and rubbed my arm.

        "But I would rather have everyone be able to be friends with me then annoy them," I spoke.

        "You have a point, but still..." she said. 

        "Well... I bet you have a flaw too," I smirked.

        "Oh really?" she sarcastically wondered, "What is it then?"

        "It's..." My mind went blank. "Um..." I put my finger up to my lip. "It's..." I tilted my head up.

        Rangiku laughed, "You're so sweet, you can't even say a bad thing about anyone!" She continued to laugh.

        "Stop laughing! It's not funny. It's just how I was raised," I huffed while crossing my arms.

        "Yeah, yeah," she mumbled while we reached her and Captain's office. We opened the door and Captain Hitsugaya just let a Hell Butterfly fly off of his finger.

        "What was that about, Captain?" I questioned. He looked over to us.

        "That was Hirako. He gave you permission to join my squad," he stated while I smiled.