Chapter 4: Spar?

Aika's POV

        Rangiku walked me back to Squad 10 and when we knocked on the door, no one answered.

        "Hmm, that's strange. Captain's always in the office," Rangiku mumbled. She opened the door to reveal Captain Hitsugaya sleeping on the couch with his hands behind his head. "Oh! That explains it!"

        "What explains what?" I whispered.

        "Captain believes in the old saying, 'Children who sleep well, grow well.' So he sleeps whenever he can," she grinned. I nodded in response.

        "Should I wake him up?" I questioned.

           "No. He needs the rest so he can grow the most he can. Don't tell Captain I said that though," she spoke. I nodded. He then started to stir and we pulled our heads out of the door. We waited about five minutes and then walked in. Toshiro was sitting at his desk, looking through some papers.

           "Hey Captain! Aika and I are back!" Rangiku beamed. He looked up from the papers and then set them to the side.

           "Rangiku I would like you to spar against Aika," he stated simply. I was taken back. Why would he want me to battle Rangiku? 

        "Why do you want us to spar Captain?" Rangiku questioned for me.

        "I would like to test Aika's strength," he stated.

        "I guess we can have a little match. I mean it won't hurt anything right?" I smiled. Rangiku agreed and Toshiro led us to Squad 10's training grounds. I gulped and looked down. My stomach wound is not healed yet. I won't be able to go at my full strength. I sighed. I guess it doesn't really matter though. But why would the captain want to test my strength? It seems awfully odd considering we just met. I pulled out Kawachō. I haven't achieve Shikai with her, let alone Bankai. How does he expect me to stand my own against a Lieutenant. Rangiku pulled out her Zanpokto. 

        "Start whenever you're ready," Captain spoke while sitting down on a rock near the training arena. 

        I took a deep breath and charged at her. She quickly blocked my attack and my face fell into an emotionless state. I can not be happy, sad, annoyed, scared, or anything when I fight. Kawachō said it will dull her blade and I will lose. I jumped back and charged at her again. She blocked my attack again and we swung at each other a few times. Rangiku looked shocked at my speed and strength. I swung my blade around and cut her leg. She gasped and then swung at me. I blocked all of her attacks until once she swung for my arm and I flash stepped away. We ran at each other again and she cut my left arm while I cut open her other leg. We clashed blades until we jumped away again.

        "Ms. Aika, use my Shikai. I realized that you have not achieved it before this but I think you are ready. Please use this strength to defeat Lieutenant Matsumoto. If you do not know, Captain Hitsugaya is evaluating you and so he must see your full strength," Kawachō spoke. I nodded and took a deep breath. I studied Kawachō's hilt. The purple wrapping with the black diamonds was naturally beautiful to me. I huffed and stuck Kawachō out.

        "Flutter, Kawachō," I spoke as my katana turned into two, pink butterfly swords. Rangiku gasped.

        "Growl, Haineko!" she shouted as her sword turned into what looked like grey sand. It quickly surrounded me. I waved my hand around and grabbed some of it. Then it suddenly cut my left hand up. I gasped. Is this her sword's power? It's very strange. I sighed and then stuck both blades out by my sides. I spun around as fast as I could until Kawachō's blades started to glow. I put the blades together and shot a pink beam, forcing all of the grey sand to disappear. Rangiku gaped at me as I walked out. She charged at me again. I blocked her with my left blade and then quickly cut her arm with my right. She backed off and shot more of the grey sand at me. I blocked it all away by crossing my swords, creating an X, and pushing it all back at her. Her eyes widened as her own attack was sent back at her. Captain Hitsugaya then walked up to me and Rangiku flash stepped by his side with a few cuts on her.

        "That was very good Aika. I would like to promote to 5th Seat in my squad. It's up to you if you want to be promoted or not," Captain Hitsugaya stated.