One Shot #8

"Charming! Stay with me!" Mary Maragaret sobbing onto her husband's chest, but it was no use. The dreamshade had gotten the best of the Prince and it was too late to save him.

"Mom, he's gone." Emma said blankly, staring ahead into nothingness. No tears came, she was too stunned and heartbroken. Mary Maragaret looked up and her daughter.

"He can't be." Emma had never seen her mother look more broken. She had lost her true love, Emma couldn't imagine how that felt. She knelt down next to her mother and pulled her into a hug while Mary Maragaret sobbed unto Emma's chest. Regina, Neal and Hook looked on in silenced grief, not knowing what to do.

"Pan will pay." Mary Margaret's voice surprised Emma. It was such an dark thought. Probably the same one Regina thought after Snow spilled her secret and it lead to Daniel's death. Neverland was a evil place if it could do this to her mother, but Emma wouldn't let her go dark.

"No, take it from me, vengeance is the worst way to go." Regina said bitterly.

"Aye, the queen is right. You don't want to live a life bent on revenge." Hook added, staring at his boots.

"Besides, that isn't who you are. David wouldn't want it." Emma said, tears coming at last.

"David isn't here." Mary Maragaret choked out and Emma hugged her again. The pair sat like that, sobbing and holding each other. Finally, Mary Margaret stood up and wiped her tears.

"David wouldn't want us to stop looking for Henry. We have to keep moving." She sniffed, darkness momentarily forgotten. Emma nodded and led the way to Tink's to rescue her son.

~~~~~

"What do you mean he's dead?!" Henry shouted in outrage. They had just managed to rescue him, promising the Lost Boys passage to Storybrook in exchange for Emma and Regina's son. The whole time Henry had been questioning where his grandfather was and when they were back on the Jolly Rodger, Emma finally spilled.

"I'm sorry kid." Emma said, choking up as she met Henry's tearful eyes.

"But he's Prince Charming, he can't die." Henry looked frantically between his parents, Regina and his grandmother. Mary Maragaret didn't say anything, she couldn't bring herself to, so she just reached forward and pulled Henry into her arms. They sobbed onto each others' shoulders, painful wails echoing from the ship as it sailed away from Neverland. Emma felt an arm wrap around her waist and pull her in closer: Neal. She leaned into his body and he held her as she cried alongside her mother and son. David was dead. Her father was dead. Emma had barely knew him, he hadn't gotten a chance to be a proper parent to her or a proper husband to Mary Maragaret. He would never teach Henry how to sword-fight or teach Emma to waltz. Anger boiled up inside her, Prince Charming was dead and some one would pay.