Chapter 16

A/N: I had some inspiration for this chapter so I figured I might as well write it.

If Tris wasn't nervous before, she is now. 

As soon as she saw the shadowy outlines of Tobias's family, her stomach had started to tie itself into tight knots. As they got closer, she was able to identify Marcus and Evelyn, as well as a man, a woman, and a girl. As soon as the girl's eyes land on Tobias, she runs over and stands in front of him, her arms crossed over her chest. 

"Where were you?" She demands. "I was stuck with my parents all day!"

Tobias just laughs at her. "Calm down Bryn. I was just with my friends." 

"Why could Ashlyn come and not me?" 

"Did you want to go into your fear landscape?" 

She ponders this for a minute. "No. Spiders..." She shudders. The girl turns to Tris, then, and raises her eyebrows. "And who is she? You know that you have to introduce me to everyone, since Ashlyn's the loser that actually paid attention to the Chicago Project thing and I didn't." 

Tris extends her hand to the girl. "Tris Prior." 

The girl cocks an eyebrow, seemingly unimpressed, but shakes her hand anyway. "Bryn Leason. Ashlyn's sister." Everyone's introduced to Bryn, as well as Ashlyn's parents. 

Tobias decides to introduce them to Tris last, since they're dating. In a sense. "John, Ronny. This is Tris." 

Ronny, Tobias's aunt or whatever, smiles at Tris. "Hi Tris. I'm Ronny." She shakes hands with both of Ashlyn's parents. 

"It's very nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Leason. Ashlyn is very nice and mature. She passed all of the initiations with flying colors." The two parents seem slightly impressed. They obviously don't understand how difficult the initiations are, but she lets it go. Why try and explain something that doesn't matter? 

She feels Evelyn glaring at her. She turns to Tobias's mother, cocking an eyebrow. "I'm sorry, is there a problem?" Tris asks in the most pleasant voice she can muster, and even tossing in a fake smile. Evelyn rewards her with a glare. 

"Tris." She turns to see Ashlyn standing behind her. "Can we talk?" 

She nods, allowing Ashlyn to lead her away from Tobias. Ashlyn sucks in a breath. "Marcus and Evelyn hate you." 

"This isn't really news to me, Ashlyn. Is that what you wanted to say?" 

The girl shuts her eyes and takes another breath. "Do you really want to know? You won't like it." 

"Go ahead." Tris assures her."I've no doubt had worse." 

"Tris," Ashlyn sighs. "They're going to try to split you and Four up. That's why you're in California. You're not from there. They just want to cut off any connection you have with any of your friends to split you and him up."