Chapter 23

Disclaimer: I ONLY own the plot and characters that I have created. I don't own anything related to the Bulls, thank you.

"Baby," Jimmy whispered, trying to pull Allison out of her sleep at the early hour of four in the morning, "I gotta go."

"Hmmm?" Allison groaned as a question, as her eyes began to open slightly.

"I gotta leave," Jimmy repeated quietly, "We have to hit the road at 4:30." He answered, referring to the next week and a half in which he and the team would be on the road, playing all away games, leaving Allison at home.

"It's time already?" she stretched, getting out from under her covers.

"No, baby," he said, putting his arms up, "You don't have to get up, I just wanted you to know I was going, go back to sleep."

"Nah," she shook her head, "I'll walk you out, c'mon." she said, taking a deep breath and putting her feet to the cold floor, "Besides, I'm not gonna see you for a while, so I want to get at least a minute with you before you go." She yawned, as Jimmy picked up his bag and the two started walking towards the door.

"I'm gonna miss you," he smiled, looking down at her as she stood in front of him in her pajamas, arms crossed, "and you too." He said looking behind Allison to her dog, Buddy.

She let out a giggle, "We'll miss you too." She smiled, tiredly, "Be safe." she said wrapping her arms around him for a hug.

"I'm not leaving before you give me a kiss." He grinned, like a little kid, "Pleaseeee." He said, drawing out the 'e'. Allison shook her head and laughed before taking a step towards him, on her tip toes, to reach his lips.

"Now, get out of here before you miss your flight." She laughed, patting his chest lightly.

"You're right," he nodded, looking at his watch, "I love you."

"Love you too." She responded as he unlocked the door and gave her one more quick kiss.

"I'll call you later, okay?" He said, taking one step out the door.

"Okay, bye." She laughed and finally pushed him out of the door so he wouldn't be late.

-----------------------------------

Allison had gone back to bed when Jimmy left and she didn't wake up until 9. She rolled over to her nightstand, wondering if Jimmy had texted her saying that they had landed yet, and checked her phone. But the only missed call she had was from a number she didn't recognize. She sat up and saw that she also had one new voicemail. Before listening to the message she automatically called this unknown number back.

Ring...Ring...Ring

"Hey, Allison!"

Allison knew she recognized that voice; her coach from the Olympics, Marcy.

"Coach?" She asked in disbelief, "What's up?"

"I'm guessing you didn't listen to my voicemail, did you?" She laughed on the other line.

"You caught me." Allison shrugged, "Is something wrong?"

"Oh, well," Marcy started, "nothing you can't fix."

"Marcy..." Allison trailed off, not sure where this conversation was heading.

"Look, I'm gonna start talking and I need you to just hear me out and not interrupt," Marcy began.

"But wait I-" Allison interjected.

"Yeah, see, none of that," Marcy laughed, "You need to just shut up and listen."

Allison let out a sigh, "Alright, shoot."

"Okay so here's the deal, and just be open minded, remember that," Marcy breathed, "I know that you told us last time that after our last win you were done, done with running professionally., done with the Olympics, with your team. But, our new team needs you, and before you say anything, I know it's last minute to ask you to come out again. The girl that we had to replace you, she's hurt, bad, and now we don't have any shot at winning. So, we need you, really we do. What do you say?"

Allison was stunned, she didn't know what to say, she decided a long time ago that she was done with the Olympics, that that part of her life was over.

"So..." She started, "Let me get this straight, you want me to come back, for the games this summer?"

"I know," Marcy sighed, "It's late notice, but I know you train on your own anyways so it's not like you're behind. Plus, we could really use you, you're the only one that can bring us over this slump that we're in if we want a real shot."

"I don't know, Marcy, I've kinda gotten past that stuff..." Allison admitted, "And yeah, I still train, of course, but...I don't know it's just a lot to think about. I have a new life going on right now, and I can't just drop it."

"I know," Marcy agreed, "That's why we'd do most of the team training in Chicago on a schedule that would work for you. The only thing that is out of town is the whole team gathering before the summer for a couple weeks in Los Angeles."

Allison didn't know what to say. She had a life here, with Jimmy, with a new job, she was happy. She wasn't sure if she was ready to risk losing it all on something that didn't seem so clear.

"Look, like I said we'd come to you, you're whole relay team," Marcy said, "Brianna, Adrianna and Jen and me of course." She continued, "We're going to work around your schedule," she said, "Come on, Allison, what do you say to one last shot at the gold?"

Just as the last words were coming out of Marcy's mouth on the other line, Allison could feel her phone vibrate and she saw that it was Jimmy. Jimmy. She'd have to talk to him about this one. What's the worst that could happen, right?