Chapter 5: Promise

NIALL'S POV

It's hard. Really, really hard not to look at her. If I did that, than I know I would stare and try to talk to her. But I can't because its not right and she wouldn't like that. So I had to sit there, scrolling through my pointless Twitter feed like I cared one bit. But I didn't. All I wanted to focus on was her voice. The voice of an angel talking to my best mates, not me. Why do you think I came along for the ride? Because you're sure as hell I wasn't invited. I had to practically beg Liam to come. I couldn't actually tell anyone the real reason why I wanted to, so I just said I needed more milk which, obviously worked because, you can never have too much milk in the one direction home.

As I sit in the passengers seat, motionless, I hear Harry talking to Laney. Not flirting, just simply talking. But still, I would get jealous if Laney gave attention to the hardwood floor. That's how fucking jealous I am. That's how fucked up my heart is. That's how much I fucking love her.

"It's good Harry its, good. Everything's just...good." Laney tells Harry as he asked her about how everything was going.

"Great Lanes! Im happy for you! We've really missed you, truly, really missed you." He says, and out of the corner of my eye I see him give her a side hug which makes me cringe inside. I was about to, but I couldn't. I couldn't say, 'I've missed you too Laney, a lot and everything you saw has an explanation in back of it I promise. I still love you.' But I couldn't, I just couldn't.

I look back and our eyes connect. All my feelings, all I've ever had for her, could be laid out right there in from our us. But all I did was smile, without a smile in return.

••••••••••••

Harry's POV

"LAANNEEYYYY BBOOOOO I MISSED YOUU BABY GIRRLLL!!!!!" I hear Lou yell as Laney, Liam, Niall and I all walk in our apartment helping her with her bags.

"Hey Lanes, how's it goin!?" I watch as Zayn asks her. The two boys both give her hugs of reassurance that they've missed her, because we truly all have.

To be honest, I love Laney. She's one of my best friends and shes been through it all with me. She's helped me so so much and I couldn't ask for anyone better. Of course I don't love her like Niall did or should I say, does. I know that there was a reason why everything happened that did, but I'm not going to be the one to let Laney know that. Niall is one of my best mates and I'm not going to treat him different because of something that happened that wasn't suppose to, especially if it wasn't his fault. It wasn't his fault. Tori did it. It's not like both of there lips had been pushed together by some magic force right? What alcohol does to you is terrible. Sometimes it makes you say the truth, lie, act crazy. And sometimes, it makes you kiss your boyfriends best mate. But all in all, there will always be 1% of sober ness behind that kiss.

I take Laney's bags upstairs for her with the help of Niall and place them in the room she would be staying in. I felt so bad for the kid. He was trying so bad to get her back. She just didn't realize that it wasn't his fault, but I can't tell her that, its not my job.

"Need any more help with anything Lanes?" I ask her as she looks around at the large room.

"Umm, nope. I think I'm good. Probably just going to unpack and get comfy, that's all. Thanks though Harry." She tells me, ignoring the fact that Niall was also standing there awkwardly.

"Ok, we're having a movie night tonight, so c'mon down when you're ready ok love?" I tell/ ask her.

"Ok, cheers boys." And I look over to Niall who had just a tiny bit of smile across his face, with her motioning for both of us. "Umm I mean, Harry. Thanks Harry." She says, realizing what she just said. And for atleast one second, it was like old times.

Niall and I both walk out of Laneys room and as we're walking down the hallway, I here him sigh as I turned to him, I have to let him know its going to be ok.

"Niall, its ok. She's here now. You'll get to talk to her."

"But Haz, she won't want to talk to me. She hates me." He tells me.

"No she doesn't. She just hate the fact that you got with...with Tori. She's confused and needs an explanation. You need to talk to her man."

"Than there's only one thing I need." He tells me.

"What's that?"

"My best mates' help. You boys are the only way to get her back." He tells me.

"Than you have to do me a favor..." I tell him while we start walking down the long corridor again.

"Anything mate."

"When Tori comes in a week, get them to make up. It's the only way for everyone to be happy again." I tell him, still hearing the voice of Laney telling me, sobbing into my arms.

"Promise me some thing Harry..."

I stop and turn to him waiting for his question.

"Promise me that, whatever happens between the two girls, we won't change. We're best mates and can't help that. To be honest Harry, I'm scared. Im scared out of my mind that Laney won't want me back, that she'll not forgive me. That she'll move on or already has moved on and forgets all about me. Im scared that I'm going to loose one of the greatest things that had ever happened to me, and I don't want to loose the other greatest thing in my life. I don't want to loose you Harry. Please, you're my best mate. Promise me, nothing will change?" Niall asks, getting choked up.

I look up at him and all I can get out is, "Tell me the truth. Was it you or her Niall?" Fighting the urge of tears through my eyes.

"Harry, I don't know if I want to tell you. I don't know if-"

"You or her Niall?" I cut him off.

"It was her. She was drunk Harry. I couldn't help it, she couldn't. I swear, it didn't mean anything to me or to her. Trust me mate." He tells me as I listen through the tears that are running down my face. I couldn't hold them in.

We walk downstairs and I draft a new message to

Laney Fitz:)

"You're going to be fine, I'm here. I promise. Thank you for living it with me. Xx."

"I promise Niall."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20 READS

10 VOTES

5 COMMENTS

FOR NEXT CHAPTER

:)