Chapter 16- Chance

*Christine*

I woke up feeling the warm sunshine rays tickling my cheek. I slowly got up and looked to the upper bed, where Meg slept. Her blonde hair was messy and she was lying with her head burried into the pillow. I gently shook her shoulder, trying to wake her up.

It didn't wake her up, so I turned to look at the new costumes, which were wrapped up in pieces of fabric. The costumes had two pieces, which had a top with a collar decorated with golden emblems, and a skirt which was made out of a soft translucent peach fabric and a belt with the same golden emblems as the top. I also found a headband, consisting of three golden stripes which wrapped around my head.

Another thing I noticed was a beautiful box with a big bow and a red rose on it. I knew who it was from, it was from my angel. Inside, there was a beautiful pair of ballet shoes surrounded with flowers. I tried the new shoes on and they fit me perfectly. I then tried on the costume while I waited for Meg to wake up.

As soon as she woke up, she immediately knew what time it was. She quickly changed her nightgown for the costume, brushed out her hair and pulled me through the doorway, quickly running down the stairs. Of course we were late for practice, but Madame Giry was probably now accepting it as a fact. Carlotta was already screeching away her song and the chorus came in after her.

The current manager, Monsieur Lefevre, came the the stage with two other men, who I figured must be the new managers. With them came an another man. He was about twenty and had those blue eyes that I remembered so well. It was Raoul!

"As you know, there have been rumors of my retirement." spoke Monsieur Lefevre. "I can now tell you that all of those rumors were true, and I would like to introduce the new managers of the Opera Populaire. Monsieurs Firmin and Andre."

He then introduced the new managers to Carlotta and her husband, Piangi. Raoul kissed the Prima Donna's hand and then went, so he wouldn't interrupt the rehersal. The managers suddenly asked Carlotta to sing an aria from the third act and she gladly accepted. Carlotta took center stage and started singing. I thought I heard a quiet giggle from above me, but I didn't pay that much attention to it.

A background suddenly dropped right onto Carlotta. "He's here, the Phantom of the Opera!" Meg screamed, starting to run around the stage. I pulled her right back into the crowd of dancers and held my hand over her mouth, so that she would stop screaming.

Carlotta got up from under the background, anger taking over her body. "This must have been just an accident." Monsieur Firmin tried to calm down the angry Italian soprano.

"These accidents 'appen for the past three years! I am finished 'ere!" She yelled at the men and left, with Piangi following her.

"What are we going to do?" the managers started to freak out. "We will have to refund a whole house!"

Meg appeared to be lost in thought, but then she suddenly yanked me by the wrist and pulled me towards the managers.

"Christine Daaé could sing it!" She happily announced to the managers.