Chapter 22- Journey through the Catacombs

(Christine's POV)

THREE MONTHS LATER

The dress rehearsals were finally over for the day. I walked to my dressing room and closed the painted wooden door behind me. I got out of my costume and hanged it up on the mannequin for the dressers to clean it for the upcoming show. I got into one of my more comfortable dresses and I sat at my table to write a note to my dresser for when she comes in here, so she wouldn't expect something that something happened to me, since I won't be here. I pinned the note to the mannequin with a pin and I went into my little kitchen in the dressing room, which has become my home. I boiled some water in the kettle and I poured it into a jar afterwards, inserting a fabric bag filled with herbs and dried pieces of fruit. I carefully placed the jar into my basket, which was already full of food that I tried to cook last night. I was up until 2 in the morning just to make sure that everything was perfect. I wrapped a red silk ribbon over the basket's lid, so that it won't open on my upcoming journey. 

I double-checked everything that I needed and I gave out a final sigh with a smile as I slid the mirror doorway open. I once again entered the beautiful hallway with golden candelabras on the walls, lining the pathway to the genius living in here. I found his horse on the midway point. It was standing there, drinking water from the small fountain that my love has built here about a few weeks ago. When the black horse saw me, he happily whinnied. 

"Hi Cesar!" I greeted him, scratching him behind his left ear. He plunged his muzzle into the sack hanging from my shoulder to my side, seeking his usual feast of sugar and fruit. 

"Don't worry," I giggled "I brought you your favorite." I pulled out a cube of sugar and Cesar immediately snatched it from my hand. He pleaded with his eyes  for more, but I told him: "When we come to the lake, I'll give you the rest." I saddled Cesar and I tied my basket to his side, along with the sack with Cesar's apples, carrots and whatever other vegetables I could get from the market. 

I made Cesar go faster. Each moment without my beloved angel was killing me and I yearned to see him again as soon as I could. Although we last met the evening before, I still missed him every moment I couldn't see those gorgeous golden eyes of his, which lit up with happiness each time he saw me. I finally arrived at the misty lake's bank, where I tied Cesar's reins to the hook on the wall and I put his food into the trough. I scratched him behind his ears one last time that evening and I plunged into the dark narrow hallway, which was my entrance to the underground lair. 

When I came to the cove illuminated by candles, I expected to hear music, sweet music filling the cellar, but I heard only silence. I looked at my angel's usual seat next to the organ, but it was empty now. I suddenly heard a quiet snore. I tiptoed to the sofa, laying the basket onto the ground near one of the candle holders. I peeked over the sofa, to see such an unusual sight, that it made me giggle a little. 

Erik was lying on the sofa, softly sleeping and snoring. One of his arms was hanging over the armrest, the other was hanging off the sofa's edge and his long fingers of an artist were slightly touching the ground. His long legs here hanging off the other end of the sofa, and he had only one shoe on. His white porcelain mask was lying on the coffee table, exposing his perfectly imperfect deformity. I smiled at this sight. I saw him sleep only rarely, and if he was sleeping, it was a light sleep and it wouldn't last for long until he woke up. But now, he slept fully plunged into his dreams. I gently traced my finger along his rough-skinned cheek and I shook him by the shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes, realizing my presence. He smiled back at me 

"Good morning, my angel." He whispered, still not completely awake from his dreams. 

"More like good evening, Erik." He must have realized what time it was because he jumped up from his laying position straight onto his feet. 

"Christine, I'm so sorry. I promised you dinner, and I have fallen asleep." 

"You haven't slept so well in quite the while, so it's completely alright and understandable that you took a little nap." I said running my fingers through his messy black hair. I gave him a reassuring hug and he returned it back. 

"Thank God I prepared everything in advance. There are only a few minor details missing." he reassured me. I was lead into a side room in the lair, where a big table with two chairs was already prepared. Erik opened a cupboard behind one of the curtains over the walls. He pulled out an embroidered table cloth, with different smaller table cloths piled on it, and he placed them on the table. 

"I know you like to do this, so I'll leave this to you, angel." he said with a smile. I smiled at him softly and I started digging through the various table cloths, trying to find a few of them that would match well on the table. 

"I'll get ready by the time you're done." he said, taking his mask and going to his room to change. I picked out a white table cloth with roses embroidered on it's edges and a smaller one with trimmed with lace and placed them onto the table. I took the vase of roses and placed it in the middle of the table, with a few small candles around it. I found the platters and served my homemade food on them. I then removed my cloak, which I had put on because the catacombs were quite cold. Erik soon emerged from his room, dressed in his suit and wearing his mask. He stopped when he saw me and the feast that I have prepared. 

"Christine, you are so beautiful. And this feast, I told you not to exhaust yourself, and yet you prepared me such an evening, like if I was a normal man." he said coming closer to me. 

"I prepared you so much more then you can see. I put my heart into each of these meals, and you deserve much more then I can ever give to you." I said with a smile as I traced his face with my fingertips and I removed his mask. "Please promise me that you won't wear this when we're alone. I want to look at you, not a porcelain mask covering your beauty." I whispered and tears started forming in his eyes. I wiped them away carefully and leaned in closer and closer. He did the same, reaching with his hand for my chin and he traced it with such care, that I have never felt before. We were so close, we could touch with the tips of my nose and Erik's one that didn't exist. 

"Christine, I love you..." were the last words I heard before my lips met his.