Chapter 30- Christmas Gift

(Christine's POV)

The Christmas Eve finally came and so did the evening of the masquerade ball. The preparations for the ball were huge and everything in the opera house was polished and ready for the ball. Inside, in one of the ballrooms, was a giant Christmas tree decorated in red and gold.
I was so excited, I was practically jumping around the polished floors.

I later stood in front of one of the very few mirrors in Erik's home and looked at my reflection, which looked like it wasn't even me. I put on the gorgeous dress that Erik got me for the masquerade and I looked like a princess in it. It had a silky pink bodice with golden lining with tiny red roses on it and short white and gold lace sleeves. The dress also had a long puffy skirt in the color of cotton candy and it was light as a cloud. I had a light pink rose attached to where my hips were. My hands were covered in white lace gloves and my head was crowned with a braided crown from my curls, decorated with tiny jewels. A silver mask with pink roses and ruffles layed on the table and threw an emotionless gaze at me.

"My angel, you are so beautiful." Erik's heavenly voice spoke from behind me and I turned to face him. He was dressed all in red with a long cape flowing behind him. His face was covered with a slightly off white mask covering his whole face and it had signs of a skull with it's hollow cheeks and eyeholes from which were looking my angel's golden eyes. The mask had little traces of a skull's nosehole imprinted on it's porcelain nose and teeth above the mouth.

"Who are you supposed to be?" I smiled, gently ruffling his hair.

"Can't you see? I am the Red Death." He said with a certain feeling of pride in his voice. "And you, my dear Christine, are my beautiful fairy." He said taking me by the waist and spinning me around in the air.

"Now come. We don't want to be late for the masquerade." I said giving him a quick kiss on the nose.

We came into the upper world through the mirror and we got into the ballroom, already filled with guests. I saw Meg dancing with Raoul and a big ruby smile was spread across her face.

"Would you give me the favor of dancing with me, my angel?" Erik asked me with a slight bow. I responded to him by a smile and he led me to the dance floor. "Now, I must warn you." Erik said a little carefully when he placed his hand on my back. "I have never danced, so this may be somewhat of a disaster."

"Don't worry. I believe in you." I ensured him. He took ahold of me and led me through the dance. I must say, he danced as if he was trained to do so. All of his movements were fluent and graceful. The song ended and I slightly panted, exhausted from our long waltz.

Erik lead me to a small salon and there we sat down on a small sofa. I gave him a kiss and he brushed his fingers against my cheek. I kept my eyes closed and I enjoyed this beautiful moment.

"Christine." I heard Erik whisper. I opened my eyes to see him on one knee before me.
"I wanted to ask you this for long time. You were and always are my light in the darkness. You gave me a reason to live. You are an angel and I know I will never be worth such a woman as you. But I have to hear an answer to the question I am about to ask." He said pulling out a small velvet box and opened it, revealing a beautiful diamond ring with a rose sitting atop of it.

"Christine Daaé, will you do me the honour and become my wife?"
I was in loss for words. After a few seconds of looking back and forth from his honey eyes to the ring, I threw myself into his arms and said: "Yes, I will!"

Tears of happiness were pushing into my eyes. I kissed him, letting all the passion flow through my veins. I let him slip the ring onto my finger and I gave him an another kiss. "You are the most beautiful present I ever got for Christmas." I whispered into his ear.