Chapter 31: Elpis

We stood on the sandy beach in the middle of the night. The moon was high in the sky, a full moon that illuminated the island. Our shadows were casted behind us like mocking ghosts and the ocean shined like a sapphire.

For a while I had sat with Percy in the cave. It felt like forever until Calypso finally returned along with Leo and I had absolutely no intention to find out what they were doing. Leo didn't care about me anymore, after all.  Upon seeing us she was horrified and apologized over and over and over about how sorry was. She couldn't believe that the formula didn't work and felt absolutely horrible. Leo's reaction wasn't much better. He'd been close to her too.

Soon enough we realized we needed to pull ourselves together. We were so distracted that we'd forgotten our actual purpose of being on the island. Though it'd barely been a day, it had felt like much more and it was time to get back on track. So reluctantly, we decided to regroup on the beach leaving a lifeless Kylie by herself.

"So you guys are on a quest?" Calypso asked.

The three of us nodded.

"And what is it exactly?" She asked.

"We received a prophecy to find Pandora's Pithos," Percy explained, "to put it simply, it led us to Greece where we found a map which led us to a cave. There we fell into a portal leading us here. The pithos should be here, the manticore threw it through right before we came."

"Oh," Calypso said, " Why didn't you say something? Not too long before you guys fell, an object dropped from the sky, but a gull caught it and took it before it could hit the ground. I didn't get a chance to see what it was, but I'm assuming it's what you're looking for."

"Well I'm sorry my friends survival was more of a priority," I mumbled.

Calypso bit her lip, "Well uh, it flew up toward the peak at the center of the island."

"That's great," said Percy, "You know where the nest is, let's go get it so we can finish our quest."

"Well that's all fine and dandy," I said, "but how are we supposed to get out of here afterwards."

"She's right," said Calypso, "The curse is still upon the island. You won't be able to leave unless I somehow fall in love with one of you which is definitely not going to happen so."

I rolled my eyes at that.

"C'mon there's got to be another way," Percy insisted.

Calypso shook her head," I'm sorry. Unless we can break my curse there is no way. "

"Maybe we can break your curse," said Leo after a moment.

"Huh?" Calypso said, "The gods casted it, they're the only ones who can break it."

"No I don't think so," Leo said, a grin appearing on his face, "The prophecy said otherwise."

I groaned, "Not the damn prophecy. It's brought us nothing but trouble."

"Can you stop acting like the world hates you and listen for a moment, Rowan?" Leo spat.

I felt myself shrink back. Leo had never spoke to me like that, but there he did, the rift between us ever growing. I opened my mouth to say something back, but I knew he wouldn't understand, he never had, so I stopped and let him continue.