Chapter 16: A Serpent Makes Me Sick

"I told Leo this was a bad idea!" Percy half yelled half groaned.

"Calm down," I said, "It may be nothing."

"Oh yeah," Percy rolled his eyes, "An invisible force just happened to smash our ship into the side of the dock."

"Well I don't know!" I yelled.

Another jolt from the back of the ship caused us both to stumble again, falling to the deck this time.

"Oww," I groaned rolling to my back and rubbing my arm, "That's gonna be bruised tomorrow."

"Rowan focus!" Percy said already standing, "Get up!"

I pushed myself up to my knees and stood up, "What do you think it is?"

"Not sure, could be anything."

I whispered stiléto transforming my rings into daggers. I wanted to believe that the creature was small enough that a stab of a dagger would kill it. However I had a sinking feeling that it wouldn't cut it. I just thought that maybe holding a smaller weapon would help. But we all know that that's just stupid logic. Percy unsheathed his own sword, muttering curses under his breath.

"Should we go check it out?" he asked after he was done swearing, "There hasn't been much more activity in the past couple minutes."

"Maybe..." I said skeptically.

Percy took my answer as a yes, striding over to the port side of the deck. I came up beside him peering over the edge. Swimming around in circles in the water was a large serpent. It looked to be about fifteen feet long, the color of ichor with a frill frayed around it's head. My eyes widened in pure terror.

"What do you think it wants?" I asked.

"Well it is the Sea of Monsters and we are demigods," Percy shrugged, "so I get why it would be here but I guess I don't understand why it hasn't attacked yet."

I stared at the creature scared out of my mind. Although I had been in training for almost a month, I couldn't have felt any less prepared. Other than the chimera, I had never really faced a real monster, let alone a monster almost three times my size. With a flick of it's tail, the serpent jolted the boat to the side again. I could feel my body begin to shake, a lump forming in my throat. I tried my best to swallow it down, but it wouldn't budge. Percy glanced over at me a grinned.

"What?" I cried.

"Shhh," he said placing his finger over his lips, "We're gonna be fine. Maybe I can get the ship air born. Yeah, that'll work."

He ran over to the control center and started looking around to the different buttons and levers. After a while of scanning them he started to look annoyed.

"Damn it Leo! Why'd you have to make this thing so complicated! UGH!"

Percy stomped back over to me, rolling his eyes, "Maybe if we just keep quiet, then the serpent will loose interest and leave us alone."

I bit my lip, "Okay..."

Percy sat down and leaned up against the side of the ship, "Just sit down and don't say a word."

I simply nodded and sunk down beside him. I was only halfway down when the boat jolted again causing me to fall flat on my face. Percy couldn't stifle his laughter as I slowly sat up rubbing at my nose. I pulled my hand away to luckily find that it wasn't bleeding.

"I thought you said to be quiet..." I mumbled.

He covered his mouth quickly trying to stop, "Sorry sorry."