Chapter Twelve: Ex-Husband and Tears

I was shopping. With Tamia. I guess I’d really taken Harry’s words to heart, because at breakfast, I’d somehow managed to invite Tamia to come shopping with me, without even pre-planning my invitation. Niall had disappeared straight after breakfast with Harry, saying that “because you’re going out with Tamia, Haz and I thought we’d go out too.” and then he kissed my lips for far too short a time and then left.

It was hurting me how he just didn’t seem to care anymore. I’d given up so much for him, and this was how he was treating me.

“So, I don’t really know any shops in LA.” I confess to Tamia, once we’d walked past another Boutique which we didn’t really fancy walking into. “Except for bridal stores, I could take you to look at wedding dresses?” I joke, but Tamia nods, laughing only quietly under her breath.

“I’m sorry, I’m not really that much fun today.” She confides in me. “I guess I’ve got a lot on my mind.”

“Well, I’m proven to be a good listener.” I joke, and then point to Starbucks, the first place that I actually recognised in this strange city, which even though I’d lived in whilst planning the wedding with Rob, I didn’t really seem to know at all. “Shall we get a coffee?”

Tamia tells me, well, everything. She tells me about her past with Harry, best friends until her feelings became more than that, and she dated Matt, which effectively ended her friendship with Harry, and then once Matt and her broke up there just didn’t seem to be anything in London for her anymore, she hated her job and she had no one to talk to. She even told me about seeing Harry again after she stayed with his mum and then he brought her to LA because he didn’t want her to be alone, and that was when she realised that the feelings had come back again.

“I think he likes you.” I tell her, taking the last sips of my coffee. “I mean, he told me he did.” Tamia looks down to the table, shaking her head, why wasn’t she smiling, jumping for joy? I just told her that the guy she was crushing on had told me that he liked her .

“I think he lied to you.”

“Why would he?” She pauses, taking her bottom lip into her mouth and grimacing, but I’m not sure she realised that I could read her face like an open book, and she was wondering if she should tell me something.

“I don’t know.” She lies, shrugging. “Oh, shall I get some more coffee?” she asks, when she shakes her empty cup.

“Sure.”

Tamia gets into the queue, and I have to do a double take after a couple of minutes when I look to see how far she’s moved, when I see who Tam is talking to.

“Oh my God.” I mutter, getting up and walking over to the pair, tapping him on the shoulder. “Rob.”

He turns, his smile fading immediately, looking between Tamia and I.

“Lennox.” He greets. “Still haven’t heard off your lawyer.”

“I’m sorry, I’ve been busy.” I apologise. “I’ll try to do it when I get back to London.”

“You’re leaving?” He asks sarcastically, “But you haven’t seen any of the family yet.”’

“There’s no need to be harsh.” Tamia mutters to him. “She’s just being pleasant.”

“Oh, you two know each other?” He asks, looking between the two of us again. “Wow, déjà vu or what.” He jokes, but again there is no smile on his face, and it doesn’t make me laugh either, that he’s hitting on my friend in what I now know to be the same Starbucks in which we met.