Chapter Sixteen: Anything For Publicity

There’s a reason that Danielle Peazer is my best friend. And she continually also proves it to me in the times that I need her most. She was the one who made me realise that I was making a mistake marrying Rob (even if it made no difference to what happened anyway). And I love the way that she understands what I’m going through. She’s been in her relationship with Liam longer than I’ve been with Niall, she understands completely, probably more than I do.

So when I turned up at her flat, an overnight bad in my hands and a defeated expression on my face, she merely allowed me inside with promises of a cup of tea.

“What’s happened?” She asks, guiding me towards the couch. “You haven’t broken up have you?” She asks, her expression almost getting more serious by the second as she continued to notice the dried tears on my face, the shocked expression on my face, I’m not surprised that she thinks that we’ve broken up.

“No.” My voice comes out like I haven’t had a drink for my entire life, and I shake my head, I just don’t know what I’m doing anymore.

“Tell me what happened.”

I’m sure she only meant this evening, but I found myself telling her everything that had happened between Niall and I since we got back from our escape. We’ve been distant since then, maybe it was because of all the pressures of finally facing everything and everyone that are against us, and then add on top of that the fact that Niall is going to be a father to a woman who is not me.

“But you don’t really want a child now do you?” Dani argues as I begin my complaint about Molly and Niall.

“No, of course not.” I laugh before continuing, “I just… We’re in this relationship for the long run, and now this baby, it just seems that now we have an expiry date and that looks like the due date, maybe before.” I shrug now, leaning my head on the back of the sofa, looking up at the white ceiling. “I’d rather it be me that was pregnant than this. Now I’m just going to be… dad’s girlfriend to the baby. What if the child hates me because I’m standing in between Niall and Molly getting back together?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Dani cuts me off. “Lenn, you should be talking about this with Niall, not me. But um… what happened tonight then?”

I describe in detail the fight that was still fresh in my memory. Niall and I bicker, we argue just as every normal couple argues, but it has never gotten to the point that I can’t even stay the night with him. And now? Now I was planning on going back to LA earlier just to get away from the arguments and the stress of being with him. I just want to get things back to normal. And to me, the divorce being finalised was just the first step to achieving that.

“Hey, where’s Liam?” I ask Dani after the conversations of Niall and I’s relationship are over and we were back to laughing and joking like normal. And I’m just glad that there’s one thing that everything hasn’t changed, Dani and I were still the best friends that we’ve always been.

“He wanted a quiet night by himself.” Dani tells me. “Plus the boys have got an interview tomorrow, I think he didn’t want to disturb me if he got up early.” I ignored the whines that wanted to be released that Niall hadn’t even told me that he had an interview, because, after all, it would be his first interview with the boys since our disappearance. Surely that meant something? Was he not feeling pressurised? Didn’t he need someone to talk to? Or was I just not the person who he shares things with anymore?

“Tamia asked for a job.” I inform Dani. “With my team.”

“What did you say?” She asks, quirking her eyebrows in surprise.