Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Scan

“Hi… uh… I’m here for a scan.” I explain to the woman and then shake my head, “My boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend’s scan. Not mine.” I then try to clear up but she just raises her eyebrows up at me and then points behind me, Molly stood there behind me.

“What the hell?” She whispers, and I’m sure I looked a right mess. Too much partying last night meant that my hair was unwashed, my head was thudding and my stomach was slightly queasy due to the smells of the sanitised hospitals didn’t make me feel any less sick. Oh the irony of that.

“I’m sorry, had a rough night.” A man comes up behind her, tall and looming over the both of us, he was scowling at me, which merely made me smile back at him. “Who is this?”

“Seth.” He responds gruffly, and his attitude makes me realise exactly why Niall hated him so much, he looked pissed off because I was just standing here, probably interrupting Seth and Molly’s private time at the scan, which is probably exactly why Niall wanted me here.

“Well, we were just waiting for you, the Doctor is ready.” I nod, following Seth and Molly’s footsteps, walking in their shadows, just as I probably will be as long as I’m with Niall. It’s always going to be bigger than me.

I began absentmindedly humming a tune, tapping my fingers against the walls as we walked, my mind swirling with lyrics that are undoubtedly about Niall.

They’re always about Niall.

When we are led into a room, Seth and I turn away as Molly undresses and puts on a hospital gown, and just like that, nurses begin to prep everything and my heart thuds faster and faster. I’m about to see the little baby that completely changed my relationship with Niall.

The Doctor then steps in, placing the gel onto her growing stomach and I realise something. I wish it was me.

I wish I was the pregnant one, that Niall was excited about our baby, not theirs, that I had Danielle holding onto my hand as we prepared ourselves to see this baby, the baby that would’ve stopped me from doing all the messed up things that I have been doing lately. I wouldn’t be drowning in life if I had another life inside of me to keep me whole.

Niall and I would be happier if it was my baby, not Molly’s.

I wouldn’t constantly have the fear that Niall would come home one day and call it quits because he wants to focus on his new daughter, or one night he’ll just end up with Molly just like he did that day, because I wasn’t enough for him.

“And here is your baby girl.” The Doctor says, and I snap back to reality, my eyes flickering to the screen to see the developing baby.

“Wow.” Mumurs Seth, stepping closer towards the screen and the Doctor steps backwards.

“I’m sure you’re very excited to become a  father.”

“He’s not the father.” I say quickly. “He’s just her friend.”

Seth nods and the Doctor nods too, apologising for assuming wrong.

I move out of the room, knocking my head against the wall to rid myself of the negative thoughts about Niall and the baby.

He won’t leave me. He loves me.

What if the baby hates me and decides Niall has to choose between us?

Who would he choose? The girl he loves or his own flesh and blood?

Shaky hands reaches inside of my purse and I pull out another pill, which would be the third taken just this morning and I raise my hand to my mouth, dropping the pill onto my tongue when a hand grabs onto my wrist, causing me to swallow in surprise.