Unexpected

Nagoya

   "Commander, their forces are too strong!  We must pull back or–" the soldier's words are cut off by a sword lodging itself in his back, causing blood to pour from his mouth. He collapses with a violent shutter, his body convulsing violently.

   "Oh no!  Ohashi!"  As another soldier races to aid his comrade he, too, is stricken down.  A second too late, two blurs of black and blond hair swoop in and kill the enemies.  Blades glint in the harsh sunlight as their eyes survey the scene.

   "Yu, we must fall back!  Their forces are too much, and with more than two nobles here in addition to Krul, things are looking bad for us."  This statement comes from the blond, who tries to convince his only family member left, Yūichirō, to help him aid the others in retreating.  A long time ago, they got separated before Mikaela was turned into a vampire, but with Yūichirō's encouragement, he is now fighting alongside the humans– if only for the black-haired boy.

   "I know, I know!  But we can't just give up now, Mika, we've come so far!"  The blond shakes his head, bearing his teeth as he slices the dominant arm of an enemy clean off. He flows like water through the enemies around him, dealing crippling injuries or outright killing blows. They'll kill Yu if I show even a sliver a mercy–

   "Yu, more lives will be lost if we continue to fight; do you really want that?"  The black-haired boy glances around the field, only to see that Mikaela is right.  Soldiers are falling left and right at the hands of the vampires, painting the battlefield bright red. Tears gather at the edge of Yūichirō's eyes as the full weight of the situation they're in comes crashing down on him.  He clenches his fists, angrily dispatching a vampire that recklessly charged him a moment ago. Hopelessness begins to pull at his chest, his desire to save every one of his comrades overpowering his need to retreat.

"But... we can't just give up, Mika! We have to fight for all the soldiers who have died!" Mikaela blocks a sword that was swinging at Yūichirō from behind, killing the vampire quickly before turning back to his best friend.  The blond nearly bares his fangs at the younger out of fear, but he holds himself back– I wouldn't do that to Yu–

"We won't be here to fight anymore if we all die, Yu!" Yūichirō hears the desperation and impatience in Mika's voice.  The not-so-secret meaning is clear: I won't be able to live if I lose you again! Yūichirō glances over at his closest friend with whom he had reunited only a little while ago, observing the steely glint in the latter's eyes.  The black-haired teen growls, scanning the battlefield once more before hanging his head in defeat. Mikaela sighs in relief and gathers Yūichirō in his arms, taking a moment to crouch before leaping over the heads of many soldiers and vampires alike, landing beside Guren.  Said commander had been recently rescued from the hands of Crowley successfully, with the exception of a few cuts and broken bones. The vampire Progenitor is nearly about to overpower Guren when the two boys arrive, but Mikaela jumps in and holds him off while Yūichirō talks to the Commander.

After becoming a full vampire, Mikaela's strength grew by leaps and bounds, until he was matching in strength to a vampire noble. The blond refuses to advertise the fact, but his fierce protective nature dominates his actions in battle. The Progenitor in front of him is an enemy– an enemy that is threatening to hurt is family, and so help Mikaela he will cut off his own hand before he lets his vampire lay a hand on them. So, while Mika holds off Crowley, Yūichirō convinces their higher-up to give the order to retreat.  It takes a thirty-second debate to get the stubborn man to agree, but he eventually yells,

   "Everyone, retreat!  This is an order, retreat right now!"  All of the soldiers band together, and protect each other as they retreat to safety on their Commander's orders. The only enemies that have the gall to pursue are those still without injury accompanied by those who are desperate for the taste of victory. They are easily taken down by the more able-bodied soldiers as everyone retreats.

"Mika!" The desperate cry of Yūichirō reaches the soldiers' ears. Turning to look at the human boy who is fighting against Guren's tight grip, they realize that their new blond ally is surrounded by enemy vampires, one of which is the one and only Krul Tepes. She is sneering at the boy, who is being held in place by a couple of nobles. Mikaela struggles harder than ever, knowing Krul's obsession with him on a private level. His eyes flash as one of the nobles snaps his fingers, and he turns to snarl at the nondescript creature before being forced to face Krul again. Her eyes are wide with vindictive mirth as she yells,

"This is war! You have betrayed us, Mikaela Hyakuya, and for that, you will pay the ultimate price!" She raises her sword, and before anyone can react, the vampire queen plunges it into Mika's stomach, earning a cry of pain from the blond. Blood stains his uniform and spreads outward quickly as Krul rips her sword out of his body.

"MIKA! NO!" Yu breaks out of Guren's grip and races towards his wounded family member. He is blinded by his need to reach Mikaela, to help in any way he can– and then he feels pain tear through his left bicep. Yūichirō startles, gripping his arm fervently as he realizes– oh, I've been stabbed.

"Stay back, Yu!" The cry reaches his ears too late as Yūichirō falls to the ground, clutching his wounded arm and yelling out in pain. Adrenaline is still coursing through his system, but it chooses this moment to fade away, making the pain more acute. Guren kills the one who struck at Yūichirō and stands over the boy protectively, growling as he yanks the teen to his feet by his good arm. Another cry laced with pain leaves Yūichirō's lips as he is dragged back to a bigger group. They stand around him protectively, determined to keep him safe from any of the assailants surrounding them.

Yes indeed, things do look dire for the humans. With two of their most valued assets wounded, a handful of soldiers left, and no reinforcements, the battle looks like it has already been decided for them. But suddenly, a bright light washes over the field, and it was decided that a few select of each race would be forced to work together in order to stop the ceaseless fighting.

The humans had been aiding Yuichiro when a bright light shines down upon them. Everyone looks up, and then goes temporarily blind by the flash of white light. When all visions clear, the soldiers immediately realize that some of their comrades have... disappeared. Where have they gone?  The question runs briefly through everyone's mind.

But then, everything fades to black.