Untrustworthy

Survey Corps HQ

   Yu looked up at the old castle in wonder.

   "Pfft, they have Headquarters here?  Don't they know an attack can happen at any time with their poor defenses?"  Kimizuki looked at the old castle in disgust, obviously unimpressed.  Yu rolled his eyes.

   "Well, Kimizuki, let me ask you, are you blind?  You must be if you didn't see the 50 mile tall wall that may or may not protect these people from the Giants." Kimizuki glared at him, and the two were tempted to fight each other again.

   "It's only 50 meters, Yuu-chan.  You would have a difficult time spotting the top of it was 50 miles."  Mika stated matter-of-factly, earning a groan from the blackette.

   "You're not helping, Mika."

   "Well, what about other threats?"  Mitsuba cut in, "Kimizuki does have a point."

   "Well, I think they would've found a more secure base if they had encountered other threats, no~?"  Everyone turned towards Shinoa, and Yu had to admit she had a point.  Yoichi hummed in agreement.

   "It could be that these people haven't dealt with others threats."  Yu was deep in thought as he said this, "It seems as if the only thing they've faced are the Giants.  And you have to admit, those things are creepy as hell."  Mika nodded.

   "And their only weakness is the back of their neck, which is strange.  It took me several tries to take one down, and even after all my attempts, it still healed until I targeted a specific spot."  The group suddenly turned as Shinya joined the conversation.

   "Mikaela's right, you know.  Having to deal with a threat like that, these people have the right to be cautious towards any outsider they come across."

   "So..."  Yoichi looked down and thought for a minute, before slowly raising his head.  "That means that these people live under the threat of the Giants every day?"  Kimizuki nodded.

   "Yeah, and imagine being a civilian."  The teen whistled slowly.  "If those things broke into the city, then what?  There's more inexperienced people than soldiers who will protect them.  Think about how that would end up."

   "Not to mention those things are a pain to deal with," Yu grumbled, glaring at nothing as others lead their group inside.  Mika chuckled at his brother's reaction.

~~~~

   Everyone was crowded into a small office. A little while ago, their weapons were confiscated by Levi, who had his own sneaking suspicions about the mysterious outsiders. From a Survey member's point of view, this group looked just as ragged as they did, and Levi wondered what the cause was for that.

In Erwin's office, Mikaela kept constant eye contact with the man, determined to watch for any telltale signs of reluctance or ulterior motives. As of late, everyone had been forced into an unknown environment in a completely different situation. Mikaela wasn't distressed– he only cared about protecting his family. Since he had gotten Yuu-chan back, he had been a little over-protective, but he couldn't care less. He needed to ensure the safety of his brother– so that he wouldn't lost him the way he did the rest of his family all those years ago...

Just thinking about it brought back the familiar sensation of tears pricking at his eyes, but Mika blinked rapidly in order to rid himself of the feeling.

"So, Lieutenant Colonel Ichinose... Tell me what you and your group were doing up on the wall." Erwin's voice cut Mika out of his thoughts.

"Well, Commander Smith, isn't it obvious? We were trying to escape the danger of the Giants." Erwin gave Guren a curious look.

"Giants? Hmm..." He seemed skeptical, but continued with his interrogation. "Alright then, what are you wearing?" Mika was silently laughing at the look of confusion on his brother's face.  He could practically tell what his brother wanted to say: "Clothes?"

"Clothes." Guren's snarky reply brought forth a little laugh from someone, but Mika couldn't tell who. Erwin's face became an impassive mask as he went on.

"Where are you from? You seem to be foreigners."

"We are from Nagoya. Well, at least that's where we were right before we decided to jump off a 50 meter wall." Everyone remained silent for the rest of the interrogation. None of them were willing to retell the story of their last encounter at Nagoya– or how they got where they were now. Wherever 'there' was.

~~~~

   While Guren was kept behind for more questioning, Yu and the rest of the group went 'exploring.'  A couple times the ran into the madwoman– Hanji– and the shorty, Levi, but everything seemed pleasant enough.  Until they ran into him.

   "Oh, yeah?  Well what do you say we show everyone who's stronger, Horse-face?!"  Yuichiro was dying with silent laughter at the sight of a brunette with teal eyes and another two-toned brunette with hazel eyes arguing.  At least, he was until the 'Horse-face' turned towards him.

   "You got something to say, newbie?"  Yu glared at him.

   "Just that it looks like a herd of wild horses lost one."  The boy fumed, while the other laughed.

"Why you–"

"Please don't fight, Jean!" The brunette seemed to calm down at the appearance of another boy with short black hair and a whole lot of freckles.

"Fine, Marco." Jean sent one last glare towards Yu before walking off with Marco in tow. The teal-eyed boy walked up to Yu, laughing so hard he could barely breath.

   "Wow," he finally regained his breath, "this place needs more people like you.  I'm Eren.  Eren Jaeger."