Chapter 5

For the first time in their relationship, Alaina was sure Brother Sabin had no idea what he was doing.

Not in a general sense, but in a specific - he looks as though he's about to fall on his face - way. When the bright spots in her vision cleared from his lighting, Sabin was standing below her. The hood of his silver cloak was up and from her vantage in the sky, she couldn't see his face. Yet, she could hear his labored breathing and see his repeated half-steps. It was clear to Alaina that he needed help.

Hatsuto dismounted from his burnt orange steed and steadied Sabin in his arms. Sabin's head shot upwards in Alaina's direction, the hood falling off. She could see that the veins of light had traveled further down his face and now they reached the sides of his neck. Sabin's mouth barely moved, but the words that came from his lips were clear. His voice carried an echo, reinforcing his words as a parent would reinforce a lesson to a child.

"When the Dragon and Phoenix war in the skies, the land burns beneath and the Serpent reigns."

Immediately afterward, his body went limp and his head dropped. The whole ordeal looked like something from a prophecy book.

Hatsuto readjusted his grip on Sabin and his eyes met Alaina's. "Gaia's tits, child. What is this man going on about? And what's wrong with his face?"

"I don't know." Alaina said. She realized that she had stopped pulsing. She resumed her slow release of wind, drawing the opposing armies' attention to them.

"What should I do?" the man asked.

Alaina panicked. Sabin was out on his feet and the decorated soldier was asking her what to do. Leena and the others ambled down the well-worn dirt path in their direction. The ridge did not seem so far away from where she hovered, but their progress was slow. The army representatives, on the hand, sped towards them. It was two from each side, one on horse and the other jogging close by. The four warriors would be there in a matter of seconds.

This was their only opportunity to prevent this war. What's worse, the responsibility was on her shoulders alone.

Think Alaina. Think!

Sabin's face was frightening sight. While their display of power got the armies' attention, she didn't want to give them a reason to attack. They would freak out at whatever was happening to Sabin and fear made most people unwise.

One person freaking out is enough.

"Take that white flag of yours and cover his eyes." Alaina said to Hatsuto.

"Can't." Hastuto said. "That's a sign of peace. I take it down, there is a strong possibility that they attack."

Alaina shook her hands and turned parallel to the leaders' approach. She did not want to show either side favor.

"Well find something to cover his face!"

Hatsuto reached into his saddle pouch and fished out a black scarf. He tied it around Sabin's eyes and flipped the silver hood back in place.

"Now what?"

"I'm thinking." Alaina whispered.

Hastuto grunted. "Time's up."

Alaina was a historian, as all the Feral and Echu were. It was one of the things which convinced her to join the Seriens. On the front lines, she could see it first hand and record it. However, she was learning that reading history and experiencing it were worlds apart.

She knew of the Eternal Empressa of Hruh and how they behaved in times of war. She knew of the Charged - men who had gone mad from the electric energy in their veins. Despite that, seeing a human being in chains was a shock.