Chapter 56

Sabin lugged the netopo up the metal stairs, his boots clacking and his anger growing his every step. The last time he'd met Takuya, the bastard had tried to use Kaita to force Sabin's compliance. It had nearly worked, but unfortunately for his old rival, Sabin had figured out Takuya's subterfuge: the man wasn't able to capture Kaita and instead had used as Yuan witch as a proxy.

Now Takuya sought to use Kianna's name, which meant Takuya had been updated on his love life, but Sabin was sure the rouse was the same. Takuya was a coward, and would use every advantage he could to defeat him.

The wall rumbled, drawing Sabin from his thoughts. As it vibrated, Sabin lighted up the stairs on instinct, just as a crag of rock cut through the stairs where he had been.

"Schewa's balls!" Takuya snapped. "You were always too perceptive by half."

"And you were always a scared little bitch."

The stairway below Sabin wobbled, creaking under his weight.

"Oh, that gives me an idea," Takuya said. The air rumbled and another crag sliced through the stairway.

The lower portion of the steps under him crashed to the ground below and the platform under him groaned.

"Dance monkey," Takuya taunted.

Sabin lighted up the stairwell, several steps at a time. With every landing, the stairs rocked and folded towards the ground. He raced against gravity, concentrating on his lighting.

He was so focused, he didn't anticipate the crag that ripped the Netopo from his arms.

It ripped through his shoulder, flinging him backwards and piercing the unfortunate Netopo like a skewer. As Sabin was airborne, he snatched the netopo's leg with his good arm, then lighted to the top of the crag, pulling on fire to heal the gash near his neck.

"Cheater!" Takuya shouted.

Sabin panted, focusing Takuya's image into his brain.

I'll kill you, Takuya.

Then he lighted.

When his vision cleared, Takuya was sitting in one of those leather chairs, his back to Sabin. Sabin launched forward, willed Wade into a katana and struck for Takuya's back.

A wall of rock shot up and deflected the blow.

The world around Sabin grew heavy, pulling him to his knees. It felt like when Sakima drew on earth.

What is Gaia's name?

Takuya stood from his chair, his back to Sabin. He wore a sleeveless gray jumpsuit, revealing arms much more muscular that Sabin remembered. When he turned to face Sabin, however, that perpetual sneer still adorned his face.

"Every generation there are five Seriens," Takuya said. "That's what we're told, anyway. Most people don't believe, thinking the Guan and Seriens don't exist. But you and I know better, don't we?"

Sabin pushed to his feet, Wade slithering across the newly healed flesh on his shoulder.

Takuya snarled and the muscles on his neck bulged. "Kneel like the dog, you are."

Sabin braced as the pressure on his shoulders intensified. He trained enough times with Sakima that he was used to the weight. Taking a step forward would have been too much, however, so Sabin bluffed by lifting his chin.

"Always the defiant bastard," Takuya said. "Too proud to know your place in the world." He narrowed his eyes. "And stealing that of others."

As Sabin felt the ground under him shake, he lighted just behind Takuya, a jumping roundhouse kick aimed for the man's skull.