Chapter 36

"Cut it," Yulan said.

"Are you sure?" Alaina asked.

He nodded. "If you want me to blend into the Affilo landscape, you need to cut it."

Yulan sat cross-legged on the ground, staring into Disa's full-length mirror. It was an old thing, with flowers carved into its deep mahogany frame. Its edges bore scars from several moves – some more gentle than others- yet it stood tall and unyielding. It knew its purpose and dared to fulfill it.

It was the perfect mirror for such an occasion.

Alaina's hand shook as she grabbed the first of his locks. He steadied her hands with his own, both the one holding his lock and the other holding the knife, and sliced clean through his hair.

Yulan held his hair in his hand, still threaded with the red and gold to represent his status. All of Yua would be horrified at his actions, but if he were to make real change in his homeland, this was a good way to start.

He helped her to slice a few more with his borrowed knife, watching as each one fell to the dark wooden floor. She took over then, removing his hair with clean strokes.

He felt Disa's eyes on him as Alaina continued the task with steady hands. She didn't speak, just watched as Alaina removed that which was his birthright.

"Do not trust Disa," the voices consulted. "She did not buy that mask from a merchant. She was sent by Yua to find you. You know this to be true."

Yulan didn't respond. The voices had grown urgent and more forceful lately. He was understanding them for what they were: fears and falsehoods. Even so, he could not help but judge Disa's stare with suspicion.

"Where did you get the mask?" Yulan asked.

"A merchant," Disa said, shortly.

"See!" the voices argued. "She does not elaborate."

"When did this merchant visit?" Yulan asked.

"Before." Disa said. "You'd do well to remember this is my home. I am doing you a favor by letting you stay. I will not be interrogated."

You would do well to remember I could end you whenever I wish.

"Yes!" the voices agreed. "End her!"

He did not voice his thoughts or take action, however. The Wind Witch seemed to believe that he was not a monster and so he could try not to harm their hosts.

It did not stop his hand from wanting to clench into a fist, however.

"It's just curiosity, Disa," Terrick shouted from the kitchen. The skillet sizzled as Terrick dropped something into it, which sent savory smells wafting into the sitting area. "What's the harm in telling him?"

"The harm is him knowing more about me than I would like," Disa said.

Yulan kept his head still as Alaina continued to lop off locks of his hair. Yet, he could imagine that Disa wore a scowl and folded her arms.

"Yuan merchant – ow," Terrick said, followed by a loud sucking noise. "Yuan merchants from Wahara come through the Janus mountains to trade. I think the one who sold her the mask is still here."

Yulan bit back his correction. His Wing, Berius, had used the old word 'Wahara' as well when he'd referred to Western Yua. For the twenty-three years of his life, he had only seen the term Wahara in history books. Now he'd heard it twice in the same season – once when his Wing betrayed Yulan to the Guan in the Wastelands and the other by an outsider. Despite his father's insistence, Western Yua still needed to be subdued.