Chapter 55

"Alaina," Sabin said. "I'm going to focus completely on touch. I won't be able to see or hear anything."

Alaina nodded, her jaw tight and her fists clenched. Then she turned her back to him, her white dress flapping in the wind.

It was the most intense he'd ever since Alaina.

Sabin took it as his cue to get started. He placed his hand on the building, its smoothness giving way to tiny, uneven bumps. There were valleys and hills as if the metal was a terrain all its own.

Then he felt nothing.

His heart raced for a moment, so he pushed forward, hoping to find purchase once more. His body felt as though every inch was being pierced by splinters.

Sabin resisted the urge to open his eyes and defend himself. He could trust Alaina to defend him from whatever was happening. He had his role to fill and so he pressed forward.

Then the awkwardness dissipated.

Thank you, Alaina.

Sabin took two more steps and felt the pain again this time, only in his left foot. He unconsciously took a step back and it dissipated once more.

What in Schewa's name is happening?

Now that he paid attention to his feet, the floor itself differed from that of the every shifting sands. It was solid, like...

Am I inside?

"Open your eyes," Wade said.

Sabin released some of his hold on touch, sensation returning to his eyes. He blinked twice, then he released his hold on touch, allowing all his senses to return.

I am inside.

The sudden stream of lights brought tears to his eyes. The constant humming felt like needles in his eardrums. These creations were unlike anything he had seen in his life, but he couldn't absorb their details for it all hurt.

He dropped to a knee, grabbing the top of a blinking box. It warmed his hand, with edges much too smooth. Like that of the wall to the tower.

"This area is foreign to me as well," Wade said. "Remember that."

Sabin knelt for a few moments, gathering his bearings. When he was sure he could do so, he pulled himself to his feet.

There was one chair of brown leather and on wheels, in front of a series of buttons. Sabin scratched his head and touched a button.

What in Schewa's name is this?

He clutched his head and fell to his knees again, this time his head slamming against the keys.

Computer?

"Yes," Wade said. "It is a machine-."

"Don't do that again!" Sabin shouted.

"You-."

"I did not ask!" Sabin said. He touched his forehead, wetness meeting his fingers.

"And you don't even have the password!"

Password?

"Destroy this station," Wade said. "It will weaken the Curator's power."

"Curator?"

Wade went silent.

Right, now that I ask, you don't sear my brain with information.

Sabin did not have time to berate Wade further, because there was a loud hiss, and part of the wall slid to the side.

The creature that stared at him was familiar, only because Turrent had gone into great detail of the Guan he'd killed. Tiny sunken eyes, wrinkled skin and an oblong face more nose than mouth.

Turrent had also told him about the creature's talent.

Sabin willed Wade into a knife and flung it at its fingers, just as they aimed for its hip.

Sabin lighted behind it as it heard the scream, Wade melting and slithering up his hand to become a short sword that rested on the Guan's throat.

"Move, and I kill you."

It nodded and swallowed, holding the bloody stumps of his fingers in its other hand.

"What is the password?" Sabin asked.

"I don't have it," it said. "I'm only maintenance, they would never entrust me with what you want." Sabin sniffed and gagged, nothing the puddle forming between its feet. "Please, I have a family," it begged.

"I have a family too, Guan!" Sabin snapped.

"No, I'm not a Guan!" it cried. "I work for them, but I'm not one of them."

"Then what are you?"

Its nose twitched, its mustache shorter than the one Turrent described. "I'm a Netopo. Long have we been under the boot of the Guan."

It's just like Steven said. There's too much I do not know.

Wade remained silent.

"Please, honorable human, I beg you," it said. "Don't kill-."

Sabin elbowed it in the side of the head, watching it collapse to the ground.

Thank Steven for your life. I may not kill you, but I can't have you warning the Guan.

Sabin walked to the door, yet it remained in place, unlike it had with the Netopo walked right through. On a whim, he picked up the limp creature and waved it towards the door, smiling when the door slid into the wall.

"I always knew you were the villain," a voice said. It was loud, but disembodied, as if it came from many different places. "Killing an innocent and using its body for your aims." It snickered. "If only the people of Toro could see you now."

The hairs on the back of Sabin's neck stood up. The voice reeked of arrogance and pretentiousness. It was also one that Sabin knew well.

"Takuya," Sabin spat.

"The golden boy remembers me!" Takuya's voice exclaimed. "Why don't you quit now? Unless you want me to kill your precious-."

"Shut up, Takuya," Sabin said. "Your idle threats belittle the worm you are."

Takuya laughter boomed through the air. "I will kill her, you know. I'll drag her right next to your corpse and after I have my way with her, I'll slit her throat and let her blood drown your flesh."

"In case you've forgotten Sikati, I'm not the same Sabin you remember."

"Oh I haven't forgotten, you Yuan dog," Takuya cackled. "Come up to the top floor and learn who is your better."

---------------

A/N: And I'm back! For real this time. Finally got this international move beat. I'm settled in my new digs and my mind is operational once more.

But you don't care about any of that. You want the ending to Dragon and Phoenix. :)

And you'll have it!  I've finished the main story. There's one more chapter after this (chapter 56 - the climax), another Non-Serien POV and the Epilogue to go. 

Anywho - administrative nonsense out of the way - how did you feel about the chapter?

Let me know in the comments.