Chapter 53

Sabin stared at the whip on the ground. He wanted to be angry at Wade for what happened to Kianna. For it to sit there untouched and unused. It was petty and childish, but the thought gave him some comfort.

You know what you must do, Sabin.

Pick it up.

Sabin snatched the whip from the ground, flinching as it switched to its liquid-metal state, swirling in his hand, as he did before he changed from dagger to whip.

"Stop!" Sabin said to Wade with his mind.

Wade held the state, feeling as though it would slide through his fingers at any moment. Yet there was something else he noticed now, with his vision still in gray-scale and his sense of touch enhanced. Thin, thread-like needles pierced his palm.

Wade was suspiciously quiet. Usually, he would be the first to speak, offering helpful counsel and advice. It was if he knew Sabin didn't want to hear his voice and acted accordingly.

"What are you?" Sabin asked.

"I am Wade." Wade responded in its monotone voice.

It was strange to hear Wade in his head after all this time. It felt foreign and invasive as if as he were bathing naked with a stranger.

No one said this would be easy.

"What is a Wade?" Sabin asked.

"We are weaponized artifi-."

"Talk plainly!" Sabin snapped.

"I analyze things that happen, and can help you think and fight."

"You think?" Sabin ran his tongue across the roof of his mouth. "So, you're alive?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes," Wade said.

"Then why did you stop me from killing Yulan!"

Sabin exhaled and released the tension in his forehead. He'd tried to hold that sentiment back for he knew it would not help his purpose. Yet, as schooled as he wished to be, his feeling broke to the surface.

"I did it because my prime directive – what I think most important - is to protect Seriens," Wade said. "Often, it takes a weapon to protect."

Sabin nodded. Growing up, he'd wanted to become a Knight of Acadia for that very reason. It would be nice if words always solved problems. Yet oftentimes it took force to resolve things.

"I know," Sabin said.

"That is the reason I chose you," Wade said.

"Chose me? To be a Serien?"

"No," Wade said. "I do not hold that power. I chose you to be leader."

Sabin closed his eyes. Wade chose him. It wasn't random or fate. Wade had decided from the Seriens, Sabin aligned best with his goals.

Wade slithered around his arm, then back to his hand. "What do you wish me to be, Sabin? A katana or god-spear?"

Sabin looked at the god-spears on his hips. He'd grown to enjoy the weapons First Blood Ira had given to him, but they were limited to two forms.

Wade was endless.

"Katana."

Wade straightened in his hand, a silver katana appearing in his hand.

"Staff."

Wade slithered before expanding into a long staff, ridges etched themselves into its center.