Chapter 52

Sabin landed outside Aegis's grand tent with Alaina and Yulan gripping his shoulders. The familiar side effects of overlighting reared their heads, the burning sensation on his face and the gray-scale vision. The veins encircling his eyes swelled and if the accounts of others were true; they and his eyes were glowing white. He would regain sensory control soon, but the swelling and pain would continue until he got a good night's rest.

After finding Leena bedridden and Wade-less, he'd lighted Sakima and her here, to his father's ice-crusted domain in Rwabu territory. Then he'd rested and grabbed Alaina and Yulan from Disa and Terrick's home in Affil.

Now they stood outside the large tent of Aegis, the Chanyu of the Rwabu. It was a massive cream-colored tent, which blended with the snow and ice that covered these lands. It was large enough to hold a family, yet it only housed the man who raised him in Acadia, and occasionally, an Acadian witch by the name of Rea.

Aegis had hidden much of his history from Sabin when he was a child, but he never lied to Sabin. In fact, the one time Sabin asked him, he'd told him frankly that he was also not born in Acadia. Sabin hadn't pressed, taking comfort he wasn't the only outsider in the country.

Now, knowing Aegis was willing to put this aside to raise him, only made him love the man more.

As for the Rwabu territory, it made a fine headquarters. Those not born Rwabu had all made the trek here for one reason – they didn't believe the fate of the world should rest on the shoulders of a chosen few. There was some irony that its leader - the Tanyu at the time, but now the Chanyu - had turned out to be a Serien.

Father, I could truly use your advice.

Aegis's two hulking bodyguards stepped to the side and lifted the flaps. They knew his relation to Aegis and did not bother to stop him and his companions. Sabin nodded his thanks to the two of them.

Alaina sneezed and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Let's get you inside and warm," Sabin said. "I should rest, myself."

Alaina nodded and walked inside, with her head down.

Sabin put his arm across Yulan's chest, his brother's body hot to the touch despite the frigid temperature. "What happened in Affil?"

Yulan shrugged. "It is not my place to tell, Yusabin. I would not betray the Wind Witch's confidence."

Sabin raised an eyebrow. "More has changed than your hair."

"Perhaps," Yulan said, rubbing the curly black hair now cut close to his scalp. "Can we go inside? I would like to change into my loincloth."

Sabin blinked and dropped his arm. "My apologies. Please go inside."

Yulan is reasonable and in high spirits. Alaina is sulky and moody. What the hell happened?

Focus, Sabin. Alaina will talk when she is ready. You have your own task. Wade.

The inside of the tent was sparse but warm. A dais sat in its center, a fur-lined chair on its surface, with a large double-bladed greataxe leaning on its back. Leena leaned against the wall with her arms folded, doing her best impression of Turrent it seemed. A thick white bandage wrapped her head.

Sakima sat on the floor just next to her and his right hand clutched the haft of his greataxe, the one he'd taken from Asako Demonsbane in Sikati. He'd eschewed the formal wear Sabin had last seen him wearing for thick, brown fur-lined pants. Yet he wore no tunic, despite the temperature.

It's freezing outside. Why is he shirtless?

"The Dragon and Phoenix enter the room together," Aegis said, his smile threatening to tear through his cheeks. He wrapped his arms around Sabin. "You do not know how happy it makes me to see you safe."