NSP 5: Hunting

Kianna.

Kaita watched the Feral woman sleep as she had every day since Sabin left her in Sweoti. The sickeningly sweet odor of those red flowers wafted in her nose and urged her growing hunger. Yet, she didn't need the food she had in her pack. No, what she hunted was a different prey.

She hunted a homewrecker.

The woman slept with a smile on her face that looked as though she'd never had a care in the world. She always looked so happy when she was watering those irritating plants or reacting to the child in her belly.

The child should be mine.

Even though the Feral woman was as big as a whale, she didn't suffer the typical pregnancy pains. She had an undeniable beauty and carried the weight with the dignity of a princess.

That only pissed Kaita off more.

Kaita held her hunting knife in her hand, overlooking the source of her problems. One well-placed nick and her problems would disappear.

It would be easy to blame it on the Guan. They would do anything to hurt the Seriens, right?

Kaita gripped the hilt of her knife and gritted her teeth. The sun had peeked through the horizon though she still had sufficient darkness to make her move. Once the sun rose, she would need to hide and wait until the next nightfall.

Kaita sighed. "Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow."

She tucked the knife into the sheath on her belt and slipped through the door. The bald woman would be here soon to check on the mother-to-be, and Kaita would need to find a quiet place to observe.

Sabin had asked her plans and she had been vague. She wasn't sure either, just that she wanted to see the person who ruined her life.

That's what it always came back to. She knew this woman owed her nothing and the fault lied with Sabin. But if she could just bring herself to hate her enough, maybe she could get rid of the bitterness that filled her chest.

It's been ten days already, a niggling voice chided. You think you'll hate her more on day eleven?

She flatted onto the stone wall and waited. The first skill a hunter needed was patience. Patience against the elements, patience against discomfort, but most of all, more patience than the prey.

Kaita kept her ears open and watched as the bald woman led Kianna outside. Sometimes, it was dull watching and waiting, but she remembered Aegis's lessons. You could never expect the next variable, so you had to stay forever watchful.

She was glad she stayed alert. Because today that variable appeared.

An Acadian man wearing a dull gray jumpsuit strolled through the manor as if her owned the place. His demeanor reminded her of Takuya.

Wait, is that him?

She rubbed her eyes. It must have been from the lack of sleep. There's no way that was Takuya. They shared the same eyes, sharp nose and chin, but Takuya was soft and still a boy in so many ways. This man was as solid as the stone upon which her back rested. Sure, Takuya would have been in military training for nearly a year by now and had his weaknesses chipped away, but they wouldn't give him leave to be in the heart of Yua, by himself. That would be a suicide mission, even in times as peaceful as they were now.

Besides, what reason could he have to be here?

The man paused just in front of the bald woman, who jumped as if she'd just noticed his presence.