Chapter 44

Nine years ago

Turrent ripped the blanket from the bed. The Lady's blood dripped from his blade, more a nuisance than a reason to worry. Killing was the easy part –an idiot with a torch could kill a family- escaping with your hide intact is what required a professional.

He'd finished a quick wipe of the sword, and stepped around the red liquid pooling under the woman, when he noticed the lump under the sheets.

As much as he wanted to believe it was a pillow or the result of some maid's questionable work, it was the size of a child eight or nine years old. Lord Okkai's bastard was nine.

And supposedly not at home.

Turrent gritted his teeth. That either meant they were given bad information, or that Scout made a mistake.

Scout didn't make mistakes.

The one person in this home that had to live was inches from the one that needed to die. She'd likely heard her screams and bargaining.

Lady Diadra was dead the moment she tried to rise above her station, but it doesn't mean her daughter deserved to live with the nightmares of her mother's murder.

He had to be sure, so he stepped back to the bed, wishing he had taken those black contacts and the kurosheen pill like Scout asked, and yanked away the sheet.

Or tried to anyway.

The kid held onto it and the sheet contoured around her. She shuddered, but otherwise refused to let a noise leave her lips. It was what children did when they were frightened. If you didn't open your eyes and didn't make a sound, the monsters couldn't get you.

I hate surprises.

Scout swung open the door, his face a mask of calm as always. "Change of plans. Grab her."

Turrent looked at the dead body on the floor and back to Scout. "You said she wasn't home. Did you lie to us?"

"Necessary," Scout said. "Grab her."

"You knew she was here!" Turrent spat. "She probably saw my face."

"Do you want to have this argument here or in a cell?" Scout asked.

Turrent clenched his fists and burrowed his eyes into Scout, but Scout's mask of calm didn't crack.

It never cracked.

Turrent rubbed the sweat from his face and walked to the side of the bed. The child kicked as he tried to grab her.

"Help!" she screamed.

"Quiet unless you want to die," Turrent snapped.

She bit off the next yell and whimpered. It was a barely more than a whisper, but it echoed in Turrent's chest.

He wouldn't murder a little girl, but she didn't need to know that.

Turrent scooped her in his arms and tossed her over his shoulder. He felt her sobbing on his back, but otherwise the fight had left her.

"Keep your eyes closed and nothing will happen," he reiterated.

The red liquid soaked the floor and had reached the carpet under the bed. So Turrent took two steps back and after a quick run leaped over the puddle on his path to the door.

The child's hands clutched his back the moment he took flight. Like his younger sister had done once upon a time.

He landed a few steps from Scout.