Chapter 29

The custodian sighed and released the string. "Go on. The Empress rewards creative thinking. Be careful that you don't try that again. Those types of answers will get you banned and the others won't be so kind."

Leena nodded her thanks and stepped into the third level, greeted to jaguar statues on each side of the door. They were painted in vivid colors, even down to the dingy white of their sharp teeth. They were amazingly lifelike, down to the softness of the pelt.

These aren't statues.

"Please come join us."

Leena resisted the urge to wipe her hand on the robe and looked up from the statues. The Empress had addressed her directly, rubbing the large, black cushion upon which she lounged. Other cushions of various colors and fabrics were arranged into a circle and the earlier entrants has gathered on those closest to the Empress. With the numbers dwindling, it was getting harder to blend into the background.

Leena nodded and took a faded blue one closest to the door.

Sakima lazed on a silk cushion right next to the Empress and leaned his head back as a man dropped a piece of fruit into his mouth. Yet the entire time, his eyes scanned the room. He might look the part of a pampered prince - and may have been one in some regard - but he was vigilant of the surroundings.

"Everything inside is a test, Leena," Zannick had said. "Do not lose sight of that."

She grabbed a glass of wine from the nearby serving tray and took a sip. It was much too sweet for her taste and she'd rather have a good beer, but she didn't plan on getting drunk anyway.

"So you said you were from Quetzal?"

Leena nodded and took another sip as the woman to her right gave her a predatory smile. It was the kind people gave you right before they tried to rob you of something.

Her neighbor fluffed her curly purple hair and took a sip from her crystal glass. "I hear from my tutors Quetzal is a lovely place and your kind don't very much like to trade your common sense for 'book knowledge'." She flexed her index finger in the air as she said the last two words. "What brings you to the palace?"

Yep, she's trying to rob me of my confidence. You picked the wrong one as I didn't understand most of what you said.

Leena smiled back and placed her hand on the woman's shoulder. She summoned ice in her palm and stared her in the eyes, waiting long enough for her to associate the cold with her stare.

Leena wanted to tell her what she thought of her poor attempt at intimidation, but Zannick had failed to teach her any Hruh-ya curse words. Screaming or whispering 'cock' at the woman wouldn't have helped, so she settled on the actions of a strong, silent type.

"No."

The lady's purple eyes widened and the color drained from her olive colored cheeks. When she shook head in affirmation, Leena released her grip. She faced forward and pretended to focus on the Empress, even though her eyes flitted between her and Leena.

The Empress crossed her legs as a pair of attendants rubbed her back. "Candidates, if you have one question to ask the Hidenka as it relates to our nation, what would it be?"

Zannick repeated the questions in Standard to Sakima and he nodded. Sakima knew enough Hruh-ya to be useful, but they planned to keep that a secret. It was a great idea, because the Empress was likely playing the same game with her Standard.

It had the added benefit of allowing Leena to follow the conversation.

Most of the Candidates asked questions relating to trade and security. After each question the Sabio chatted amongst themselves, likely arguing the merits of each. They spoke in complicated words; those Leena was sure she wouldn't understand even if she had been fluent. When it came around to her, she had several decent questions, but none she could vocalize.