Chapter 42

Nine years ago

"Shut up, Nakao," Turrent said.

"That's Hebi to you now, Edward," Hebi said, tipping the wide brim of his hat. Green and black scaled snakes slithered along his forearms as he pointed his finger in Turrent's face. All the motion gave Turrent a quick bout of vertigo before he slapped Hebi's hand away.

"Stop bluffing, Hebi." Turrent smiled. "We both know you're not going to attack me."

Hebi snickered and went to ruffle Turrent's hair, but Turrent dodged the hand before it grazed his blonde tips.

Turrent still was a bit of jealous. Hebi had received his name a few days ago, which left him as the last member of his cohort without one. Even Hebi's little brother had received his name.

Scout.

True to his new name, Scout was looking in the direction of their current mission, his hand over his eyes to protect against the sun. Their handler Reppin had assigned the four of them - Hebi, Scout, Turrent and Kaizoku - this low-level assassination. Lord Okkao, an Acadian noble in the northeast territory, had ordered the assassination of his mistress. As Acolytes, they didn't have the ability to choose their jobs and since this came from their elders, it was both easy and all the appropriate parties had agreed.

"I hope you both are concentrating on the mission," Scout said, not taking his eyes off the horizon. "This is our last as Acolytes and the last before we're paired. We need to make an impression that the elders cannot ignore."

All Tsuchinans worked in pairs and they had roughly twenty days until partners were named. Scout had wanted him along because he'd overheard that he and Turrent were slated to be partners, much to Hebi's chagrin.

"Yeah, yeah, little bro," Hebi said, grabbing for Scout's ear.

Scout did not possess Turrent's speed, but he knew his brother well and slid out of arm's reach.

Hebi folded his arms. "They should have named you Soldier, not Scout."

Turrent nodded. Scout was always vigilant and never seemed to take a moment to rest. His black eyes always seemed to be analyzing something whether it was a person or today's breakfast. Turrent wondered how his next twenty years would be, partnered to him. He liked Scout well enough before, but something had changed since he'd gotten his name. As the first to gain one, he'd exceeded them all and he knew it.

"Hebi," Scout said. "You and Kaizoku need to distract her guards. They'll be on the lookout for a Tsuchinan pair as their Lady knows she's upset the wrong people. No one needs to die if it can be avoided. If it can't be, your life is more valuable."

Hebi nodded and tipped his hat. Using his powers had caused his hair on his body to fall, which he'd found beneficial when it was from his chest. Now that the hair on his head had started to recede, he'd taken to always wearing that straw hat. A balding eighteen-year-old man would put everyone on alert, when they were supposed to blend in.

"Edward, can I?" Kaizoku asked.

Turrent nodded and Kaizoku made a shallow cut on his hand, while Turrent did the same. Kaizoku got his name from the way he pirated the talents of others. It would only last a day at most, but Turrent's reflexes were second to none. They clasped hands and Kaizoku exhaled deeply.

"Thank you, Edward," Kaizoku said. "I probably won't need it, but just to be safe."

Turrent nodded. "Remember, the daughter must to be spared," Turrent said. "We mess that up and we'll never make it past Acolyte."