Chapter 24

"You didn't kill anyone did you?"

Turrent sheathed his sword and spat. The Las Escoltas lay strewn across the dirt, some unmoving and others scrambling away. They'd come back with more people and less geniality.

Of course the pup had to use that exact string of words.

"If they're dead, I won't lose any sleep."

Sabin's mouth fell open. Veins of white spread from his eyes and streaked down his face and neck. It made it hard to tell if he were fully in shock, or was about to burst with rage.

"What has gotten into you, Turrent?"

"Boredom. Speaking of which, I have a couple of bodies over here that I'd like you to carry for me. I have a few things I'd like to try."

Sabin furrowed his brow. "Try? By-"

"-the Grace of Schewa!" Kaita finished.

The girl from Sabin's hometown stood in front of Yulan and Alaina, her silver staff dangling from a back holster and her hands covering her mouth.

"What?" Sabin asked.

"What?" Kaita turned on Sabin and snarled. "Are you suddenly blind or something?"

"Yes," Sabin said. "I've been blind since our fight. What is it?"

She blinked and stared wide-eyed at him. Several moments passed before she spoke again at barely a whisper. "They're dead."

"Who?"

"Yulan and Alaina are dead!"

Dammit, girl! That's not how I wanted to tell him.

Sabin clenched his fists and the veins of light on his face pulsed in the dark. "Take me to them."

Kaita grabbed him by the arm, first leading him to Yulan. Sabin closed his brother's eyes and said a few words in Yuago. Then he put a hand on his chest.

"I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to talk."

When Kaita placed his hand on Alaina's face, he flinched. It was a slight jerk of the hand, but Turrent was pretty sure of what he saw.

He felt her pulse. He knows she isn't dead. Time to press the advantage before he says something stupid.

"Alaina-"

"I killed them," Turrent interrupted. "It wasn't Las Escoltas, it was me. I killed them both."

Sabin rose from his crouch and growled, looking like a monster out of a fairytale. "You did this to Alaina?"

Turrent smirked. "Look, pup, you-"

Sabin's boot crashed into his sternum before the light reached his eyes and sent him toppling over. His wind was gone and he strained as he pushed to his feet. He coughed and something wet escaped his throat.

I guess I misjudged that hesitation. She should still have a heartbeat.

Sabin pulled a god-spear and the metal hissed as he turned it into a katana.

Turrent caught his breath and pulled the short sword from his waist. "Try that again, and I'll do the same to you I did to them."

Sabin bared his teeth.

"We can't leave them like this," Kaita interrupted.

She stood near both of the bodies and hadn't moved during their altercation, but her voice had slowed the boy's rage.