• Battle Scars •

I sat in shock. Did he really just ask me this? Or am I dreaming? Did I pass out or something? What? My mind is spinning. It felt like ages before I finally got the words to come out of my mouth.

"Yes!" I said. I laughed and ters came to my eyes.

He laughed along with me and took my hand. He slipped the beautiful ring in my finger. Then he put his hand in the back if my neck and kissed me. We both had tears in out eyes. He whispered to me, with out for heads together , "I love you, princess."

"I love you too. So so much " I started crying. He hugged me tight. His beanie slipping. Them it hit me again. He has cancer. Why?! why did he have to have cancer. Who knows how long he has. Then i began to cry harder. I hid my face in the crook of his neck.

"Why are you crying so hard now?" He asked. He has a few tears that had streamed down his face.

"How long do you have?" I asked.

"What ?"

"How long do you have?" I asked again.

His face softened. He began to look sad. "I don't know. I go to the doctor every two weeks. But I don't know.." He said, somber.

I sat silently. "When is your next one?"

"Friday "

"Can I go?" I asked.

"You're my future bride. So of course " he smirked at me.

I smirked back. "I love you. So much "

We went out to dinner to celebrate. We went to a fancy restaurant in town.

I wore a short red dress with black pumps. He wore a nice black dress shirt and dark skinny jeans. He had his beanie on. I had a black beanie on to match him. He thought it was cute.

Once we got a table we ordered, and we started talking.

"I haven't dressed up in a long time " I said.

"Really? When was the last time you did?" He asked me.

"Before I met mark ," I looked down at my lap.

"Hey. You can dress up anytime you want now. He's not around anymore. You don't have to live in the past. This is our night. Okay?" He smiled at me.

I smiled back. We soon ordered. We ate. The night seemed to fly by. We were back home before I knew it.

I went into the bedroom to get out of my heels and dress and out my pajamas on. Jake followed me. I didn't realize until I had my dress off.

"Jake, what are you doing?" I giggled.

He was staring at me. I had had my back turned to him. "Um. Nothing. Sorry. I just.." He didn't finish. He stood there, emotionless.

"Jake..?" I said. "Something wrong?"

He licked his lips. " just, the scars on your back.." He paused. "They caught me off guard. They from... Mark?"

"Uh.. Yeah.." I lowered my head. I stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I didn't mean to point them out. Just, they're your battle scars." He said.

I looked up at him. "What did you say?"

"I said, they're your battle scars." He repeated.

A smile came upon my face. I hugged him. I don't know what came over me at that moment, but those words made me feel genuinely happy. He embraced me tight.

I whispered in his ear, "I love you."

"I love you even more, princess." He said. I let go and went to put on my pj's. He changed into his sweat pants and white tee. He went to the bathroom. I went to sit on the couch. I turned on the TV. I didn't watch it though. I stared at the beautiful ring on my finger.

I couldn't believe I was going to marry my best friend from my childhood.