Feelings or Desires?

Long chappy, viewer’s description advised.

“Omigosh!” Bri exclaimed.

Ian swerved the car onto the sidewalk. Good thing is no passers-by were there. Caitlyn was still screaming. 

“Caitlyn,” Ian coaxed, “everything’s fine.”

“Caitlyn,” Bri said, “Caitlyn, we’re fine. It’s all right.”

“What’s wrong with your friend?”

“She has this phobia,” Bri said, looking worried, “Caitlyn! Stop screaming.”

A few people stopped by making sure everything was fine, especially with Caitlyn. She stopped screaming but she’s whimpering. 

“Is your car, okay?” Bri asked, “I mean is it totalled, or anything?”

“No, I’m just worried about Caitlyn.”

Bri understood but he only knew Caitlyn for some hours and she’d known Caitlyn, well almost, all her life. Or a few years to be exact. Caitlyn get over it, it’s not much of a fear and already he cared for her. Bri doesn’t mean to sound selfish but, “She’ll be fine. Just carry us home.”

“You sure?” Ian looked concerned, “She’s still whimpering.”

“She’s fine!” Bri shouted.

“What’s your problem?”

“My problem is you. You should’ve kept your eyes on the road or she wouldn’t be whimpering now.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, you were checking me in your rear-view mirror when you should’ve been checking the road.”

“I’m sorry,” Bri retorted, sinking further down into her seat.  She couldn’t believe what she’d just said but it was the truth, wasn’t it?

Ian clenched his jaw and turned his attention towards Caitlyn. He touched her knee in a comforting way.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” He whispered.

Caitlyn nodded and bit her lip. She hated accidents. Her mother had been in two and she witnessed them all. It had sent her mother into a stroke once. 

With that answer Ian pulled off the sidewalk and onto the road.  They drove in silence as Bri’s thoughts wondered. Did he like Caitlyn? Well he is taking her out on Friday night, isn’t he? What did it matter, anyways? Why should she care?

Bri’s phone rang and Ian glanced at her for a beat and then back. She pursed her lips and took out her phone. One thing for sure, she didn’t recognise the number.