Chapter 5: Miles Goes Missing

The loud roar from the Ruins was enough to wake up Merx. Him, Meril, and Miles all slept in the same house, being brothers and the leaders.

Merx opened his eyes wide and sat up in his bed. He looked to his right, finding Meril still asleep with his back facing him.

Merx's heart was pounding out of his chest as he looked to his left, seeing that Miles wasn't in his bed. He started to panic seeing his oldest brother missing.

" Meril?"

Meril moaned in his sleep. Merx pulled the covers off of himself and jumped out of bed, walking over to Meril's bedside.

" Meril."

His voice was less questioning and more stern and serious. Meril rolled over with half opened eyes.

" What is it, Merx? I'm trying to sleep."

" Miles is missing."

Meril looked over Merx's shoulder to find Miles' bed empty.

" I'm sure he's just doing some morning errands. Go back to sleep."

Merx shook his head and scratched the back of his head.

" Did you hear that big roar?"

" What roar?"

" I don't know. It sounded like a dragon."

Meril rolled his eyes and turned back over so his back faced Merx.

" You were probably just dreaming, Merx. But seriously, you have got to get over your fear of dragons. It's getting really annoying."

Merx felt like something was wrong, so he shook his head and threw on some better clothes.

" I'm going to go ask the guards if they saw Miles during the night."

Meril was already back asleep. Merx sighed nervously and walked outside, the cool morning breeze made him shiver.

Merx walked up to Cyan's house with hesitation. He was scared of dragons, and really didn't want to bother Cyan. But, he figured a dragon could get around to the guards faster than a mole could, and he felt like this was an emergency.

He cursed at himself as he knocked on the small door.

" Who is it?"

Cyan called from inside, revealing that he was still awake.

" It's Merx. I need your help."

Cyan opened the door, Merx backed up out of small fear.

" What do you need?"

Cyan motioned for him to come inside. Merx effortlessly slipped through the mole-sized door. He kept a safe distance from Cyan.

" Miles is missing. I need you to go up to every guard in the city and ask if they have seen Miles out at night."

" Why can't you do it?"