Chapter 11: Takeover

Malefor roared with rage as he re-entered Warfang. The moles all stayed inside their houses, including Meril and Merx. Malefor landed in the middle of the city with a hard thud, sending dust floating around him in a large circle.

Malefor stood tall and proud, scanning his surroundings for any living suspect. He wore an unpleasant frown on his face with his head high. His eyes looked down and shifted from left to right repeatedly.

" Come, Citizens of Warfang! Show yourselves!"

No mole appeared, which only angered Malefor into a threatening state.

" Appear before me or else I will burn this city into ashes just like I did with Sanctum!"

Meril and Merx gasped and slowly showed themselves. Meril grunted as to get Malefor's attention.

" We are the leaders of Warfang. Who are you?"

Meril tried to keep calm, although he was quite shocked. Malefor walked up so him cautiously and stared him down.

" I... am Malefor."

Meril's heart nearly stopped hearing that name.

" But... You are dead."

" My spirit never died. My soul lived in the Ruins, encased in a large red crystal. Mole after mole went down there for a reason I have confusion about. But, my spirit needed a host. Someone to possess to become a dragon once again. I was running out of hope that a dragon would ever go down there, until a clueless blue dragon finally came to my spiritual form and I was able to possess him."

Merx jumped in sheer shock and horror as he remembered that Cyan went missing that morning. Now, Malefor possessed his body. Meril nearly said something when Malefor spoke up again.

" Now, the City of Warfang is mine! All moles are my subjects, every citizen must follow my command! If anyone chooses not to, then they shall burn in the empty corridors of the underground Ruins!"

He spoke loud enough for the whole city to hear. Meril and Merx still had many questions to ask, such as seeing Nature, which gave them confusion. Too scared to ask, Meril and Merx instead bowed at Malefor's feet.

" What is your first priority, Master?"

Malefor slyly grinned at the moles' obedience.

" That is for me to know, and you to find out."

Meril and Merx nodded and stood up. Malefor looked around at the nearby buildings to find many moles watching through their windows.

" Your first command is to spread the news about my leadership, and to explain the consequences if my leadership is not respected."

The ex-leader moles nodded and went different directions to speak to other moles. Malefor meanwhile went back down into the Ruins to think of a plan for his future.

He went back into the Prophecy Room and stood at the entrance. He looked around at the walls, remembering that Nature had found out about him.

I've lost her trust.

Little did he know, he never had her trust. She never entirely told him about herself. She didn't tell him about the Diamond Dragon, or that she herself was one.

Malefor walked into the next room, finding more writings and torches on the walls. He walked up to each torch and lit them, wondering what he might find in the revealing light.

He stepped back and looked at each wall, carefully skimming the words for any phrase that stood out. The first wall had nothing that appealed to Malefor, the second wall was no different.

The third wall, however, mentioned a legend that Malefor never heard of before. He read in his head:

The Diamond Dragon, born every ten centuries is an ultimately powerful and rare creature. Many have been recorded by The Chronicler, but were never noticed by others. Most Diamond Dragons have not been found, they usually hide themselves in dark places, staying away from others due to the fear of being used.

Diamond Dragons are seen as normal elemental dragons, but if you terrorize or provoke them, they will turn their scales into diamond, revealing their true story. If you meet on of these dragons, it's best to stay on their good side.

Malefor didn't bother to keep reading. His main focus now was that Nature was a Diamond Dragon. He widened his eyes to that realization, and smirked.

" She's gone now, there's no point in even caring."

He knew she wasn't gone, but she ran away. The Malefor part of him wanted nothing to do with Nature, his only priority was to kill Spyro. But Cyan was interested in Nature, and he didn't want to not care.

Malefor growled and continued reading the walls, determined to find more about Spyro.