Chapter Four: Dinner for Two

Lucifer

The table was set. The silverware arranged in order from beginning to end. Four pots boiled and steamed over a hot stove while the oven heated up some breadsticks. I added the last bit of ingredients and sprinkled just a shy more seasoning to the sauce to give it that special kick. I washed my hands in the sink and dried them with a towel that draped over my shoulder.

"Smells good in here." Jason said, coming from the bathroom.

"You haven't tried anything yet. Wait until you taste what we're having for dessert."

A secret compartment hiding in plain sight was the perfect storage unit to showcase my vast collection of imported wines from all over the world. Bottles lasting from thirty years ago, still maintained their flavor, perfectly sealed since the day they were made. I grabbed a bottle of French Bordeaux from the top shelf and wiped off the dust as I removed the plastic wrap and popped the cork.

I emerged from the wine cellar grabbing a pair of two long-stem glasses before shutting the door behind me. I poured the wine slowly and handed it to Jason as he took it and started at the crimson liquid. I watched with great intent as brought the rim to his lips and took a sip. A minute went by before he said anything which got me worried thinking that maybe he doesn't like red wine.

"Well, what do you think?"

He coughs. "It's smooth, I'll give it that."

"Do you like it?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, it's nice. I can live with it."

"But it's not great."

"No, I didn't mean that."

"I can get you something non-alcoholic if you prefer that instead."

"Lucifer. It's fine. Really. Now go check on dinner."

I bit my tongue from saying anything more and turned to face the stove. I shut off the controls and dumped the pasta into a strainer in the sink. Next, I pulled out the breadsticks and placed them in a basket and wrapped them in a cloth so that they stayed warm throughout the duration of our meal. Jason helped by putting the food on the table as I grabbed the sauce and poured it into a gravy bowl.

Sitting on opposite sides of the table, I wanted Jason next to me. Passing the food clockwise proved to be the most effective method until everyone got what they wanted. I stabbed the pasta with my fork, brought it to my lips and sucked it down like it was no big deal. Jason took a bite out of his breadstick as I watched him like some creep who gets off on watching other people eat.

"How's dinner?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Very good. You should have your own Food Network show."

I laughed. "Hardly. I don't care much for television these days."

"Why is that?"

"It's all so depressing nowadays. I mean, all you have to do is just walk outside and you get the news right in front of your eyes. That's why I'm a businessman. I like to stay busy."

"What do you do?"

"I'm a lawyer."

"What kind of a lawyer?"

"You ask too many questions." I smirked.

"Well, what else are we going to do?"

From behind my deep, dark lashes, my eyes shimmered in scarlet red. A sign that my passion for sex was allowing itself to get its hold on me. I ignored the question for right now and finished off what remained in my glass before excusing myself from the table and walking over to the kitchen. I turned my back to the table and focused on getting my breathing under control.