Chapter Forty Five: The Beginning of the End

Lucifer

Lucifer

Billowing puffs of steam rose from the ceramic mug as I brought it to my lips and took a sip. Only an hour after sunrise and already I was dreading the work in front of me. A mountain of boxes sat in the middle of the empty room that was meant for the newest member of our family. Another sip and I seriously considered paying someone to come in and put the baby's room together. But than there would be no love behind it. No source of meaning. I sighed in defeat as I stepped further into the room and got to work. A box cutter made short work of the plastic ties as I cut them off and opened the first box that contained the baby's crib.

Pulling out the pieces was the easy part. It was trying to put them together that was the hardest. Four cups of coffee and one fiercely shredded instruction manual later, the crib stood erect and placed against the wall. Perfect. That's one down and about a dozen more to go. Running my fingers through my hair, I seriously wondered how any human male survived this type of punishment in the first place. I stared at the remaining boxes and almost had a heart attack. As if the Devil could ever experience such a thing. The Devil, who would very soon become a father to a doting bundle of joy.

A baby. That word sounds almost foreign to me now. Yet for each day that draws closer, I genuinely fear for the life it will one day lead. This will be the first time in my life that I have ever fathered an offspring. While Jason tells me not to worry. His words seek to provide comfort in the fact that everything will be fine. Will it though? I ask myself, even with the forces of Hell looming just outside our door. The world is slowly changing and within a year who knows what will happen after that. Humanity may even cease to exist as the Gates unleash death, destruction and mayhem in a single swoop.

I needed a break. All this talk was bound to give me a headache at some point and well, it look like it had. So that's what I did. I left. I left the room along with my troubles in search of my old friend, Mr. Scotch. A crystal decanter sat on a beverage cart in front of a window next to the sliding doors that lead out near the pool and private balcony. I poured myself a double shot and drowned my worries until I felt nothing and my mind became clear again. As I finished what remained in the glass and popped the top on the decanter, I sensed Jason coming into the living room.

"And where do you think you're going?" I asked.

"Into town. There's some errands I have to run."

"Like what? You're supposed to be in bed resting."

"Spare me, alright? I've been cooped up here for two days. I need to enjoy my life while I still can."

"Don't make me carry you to the bedroom and hogtie you to the bed. Because I'll do it."

"Look, a little harmless walking isn't going to kill me. You more than welcome to come if you'd like."

"Where are you going?"

"Neiman Marcus. I need to shop for the baby's clothes. I'll only be gone a few hours."

Sure I considered my options the moment the words Shopping and Neiman Marcus came to mind. So it seemed only logical that my response to him would be something like, "Go. Enjoy your time. But keep your phone on just in case I need to reach you."