Chapter Fourteen: King of Hearts

Lucifer

That evening as another work day came to an end. I signed off on the last document, slipped the paperwork into a folder and put it in the right-hand corner of my desk before locking it up for the night with my little silver key. Turning the light off next to my phone, I shutdown my laptop and headed for the door as the fireplace extinguished itself upon my command. My little brunette of a personal assistant was just getting ready to leave when she saw me exiting my office. She smiled as she said goodnight and grabbed her purse before walking towards the elevators.

Empty, quiet, lifeless. I strode through the maze of cubicles each one more tidier than the last. As I glance at my exclusively hand-made watch from Cartier, I couldn't help but notice that it was boy's night at the club. I enter the bosses private elevator and head straight for the lobby. The heels of my dashing leather shoes echo throughout as the all-night security guard bids me farewell for the evening, his eyes never leaving the security monitors. Once outside again on a warm, Los Angeles night, the streets and sidewalks were alive with vitality.

I quickly cut-across the street and head for the parking garage. The very same parking garage where a few days ago, I was the victim in a robbery gone wrong that resulted in the brutal slaying of a potential gunman. His reward? A one-way ticket back to hell. Sleek, shiny and dripping in crimson red. My new sports car was an Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato. Gorgeous exterior, two-tone red and black seats for the interior, and a powerful V-12 engine that would make even the most notorious car enthusiast shed a tear.

Sliding into the driver's seat was like sitting on cloud-nine. My fingers wrapped around the hand-stitched leather steering wheel as I started the engine and raced down the ramps like I was a race car driver for the Indy 500. A quick right followed by a twenty-minute drive across town. I finally reached my destination. A modern high-rise spiraling towards the sun made entirely out glass and steel. As I pulled up to the curb, a member of the valet opened my door as I stepped out and handed the kid a fifty. The kid stared at the crisp bill in shock as he smiled from ear to ear like the Cheshire cat.

Entering the lobby through a revolving door, I am met by a man in a suit wielding a gun that's stashed beneath his jacket while an earpiece plugs into his right ear. Airtight security, the best money could buy. Abaddon prides himself on being protected at all costs for the lack of a better word. The man's made more enemies on this earth than anyone I've ever known. Wealthy, handsome, irresistible to both species. Abaddon deals heavily when it comes to the Black Market. Hell, he owns the Black Market. But no matter whatever it is you need whether it be: guns, weapons of mass destruction, world war 3 perhaps. Abaddon is the man to see.

"Good evening, sir," said the security guard. "They're ready for you."

"Excellent. I have a feeling tonight's going to be my lucky night."

Stepping into the private penthouse elevator that goes straight to the very top of the building just below the roof, my ears begin to bleed at the sound of the horrible music being pumped through the overhead speaker. Five minutes later, the doors open followed by a ding as a slim figured woman dressed in a little black and red cocktail dress with matching pumps greets me with a smile. She asks me to follow her down the short corridor but I tell her that won't be necessary yet she insists on doing it anyway. Beautiful and eerie at the same time, a set of hand-carved double doors begin to tell a story; my story.

The doors opened as the smell of fresh cigar smoke filled the air, while a very cute male server went around the table with refilled drinking glasses lined with bourbon, vodka, whiskey

The doors opened as the smell of fresh cigar smoke filled the air, while a very cute male server went around the table with refilled drinking glasses lined with bourbon, vodka, whiskey. And there he was, the man of the hour. Abaddon sat at the head of the round table, his back facing the large open window with sprawling, breathtaking views over downtown Los Angeles. Bourbon was his favorite drink of the evening as he sipped it, a sly smirk making a random appearance. Slamming the glass down on the table, he laughed as he got up from his seat and came over to give me a hug.

"Hey, man, glad you could make it tonight! We could use another player."

Dressed in the finest Italian suit made specifically by Dolce & Gabbana, Abaddon loved the finer things in life, no matter the cost. Especially, when it came to fashion, expensive cars, extravagant weekend getaways to an island in the Caribbean. Abaddon was known around town as Los Angeles's most eligible bachelor. As I sat down opposite him while in-between two more of our closest friends, the very same cute male server made his rounds again, and yet only this time, it was to me. White dress shirt, black bowtie, slim-fit black slacks, the server nearly bent over backwards as he asked what I'd like to drink.

"Scotch, please." I said.

The server nodded before leaving only to return again just seconds later. As I reached inside my jacket and pulled out a leather cigar case, I slipped off the top and clenched the end of the cigar between my teeth as I started fishing around for my trusty gold lighter. Then the man sitting to my left offered his thumb as he flicked it upward while a bluish orange flame appeared. I leaned in, inhaled a few puffs of my sweet, sweet addiction and exhaled slowly.

"So, Lucifer," said the man who offered me his thumb as a lighter. "Up for a game of high-stakes poker?"

"If by high-stakes you mean am I willing to leave here broke just before 5AM you're nuts. Because I intend to wipe the floor with all your asses."

Abaddon laughed. "What a cocky bastard you've always been, Lucifer. I've always loved that about you."

I paused my smoking for a little drinking as I brought the crystal glass to my lips. The scotch tasted great and the game flowed smoothly well into the early hours of the morning. When the other two demons had folded, it was down to me and Abaddon. Sitting across from each other like we were in an old fashioned standoff, it had all come down to this.

"You first," Abaddon said with a smirk. "Unless you're afraid of losing to me again."

"Not at all."

Looking at my cards once again, I realized I had a straight flush. Throwing the cards across the table like a boss, Abaddon sighed with a curse. He tossed his cards in my direction and I smiled, he lost and I won. I gathered my winnings in the form of cold, hard cash and stacked them neatly before the cute male server came by with a metal attaché case.

"Good game, gentleman." I said, closing the case and grabbing the handle. "Hope there are no hard feelings."

"Well, I'm off," said the demon to my left as he finished what was left in his glass and grabbed his jacket off the back of the chair. "See you all later."

A few minutes later, Abaddon and I were alone. With my new found money safely locked away in a case and sitting in my chair, Abaddon took our drinks out onto the private terrace. Up here, we were the kings of L.A. But beyond the horizon, the sky started to take a different turn. Breathtaking colors of orange and blue with a darker shade of purple, it was official. A new day had begun.

Author's Note: Hello, my lovelies!!! *Gives you all a big hug with a side order of milk and cookies* Wow! Can I just say it feels like FOREVER since I updated this wonderful, sexy novel. The last two days trying to write this chapter was like pulling teeth to try and get Lucifer to start speaking to me again. I mean, there were days I would write one or two paragraphs a night and just quit because his voice wasn't there to fill my thoughts. :( I felt like I was in a relationship with him. I wanted him to talk to me. I wanted him to tell me everything that was on his mind.

Anyways, ladies and gentleman. What do you think of Abaddon!? Is he hot or what? The minute I saw this picture I knew he was the one. I hope to see him again soon but not too soon. Haha. Jason and Lucifer are a package deal, they're an item. And they need to be heard!

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Vote, comment and follow for more future updates. I hope the next chapter is sooner rather than later. *fingers crossed*