Running Away

If truth be told, I felt cheated. I have been courting her for almost five years but she chose to be with the guy she just met.

They said, good things are worth waiting for. And God knows how much I prayed to be "the one" for her. And I know, I felt it, I almost had her but she slipped away from my grasp.

Yes, I love Jasmine Mendoza. For five years since Ive met her at our work place in Faulkerson Company, I have adored her. I did everything humanly possible to be worthy of her love, but in the end, she fell in love with the boss' son.

So here I am running away from the pain because I cannot get mad at her - because I still love her.

My mind drifts to the event at the restaurant this afteroon...

"Its so funny na kailangan ganyan pala kita dapat niyayaya para sumama ka maglunch sa akin." I wanted to scream at her for my bleeding heart, but when I saw her nervous smile, I cant.

"Sumasama naman ako dati."

"Dati yun. You wont agree pa kung hindi kasama sina Sheryll." I know, Jaz, you gave me a chance. But I still felt cheated. You didnt gave me the same chances you gave Richard.

"Tampo pa more?" I felt her pinching me at my side. Like old times, huh? In the past I did find this endearing but you hurt me, Jaz.

"I talked with Tere and Boss this morning," might as well get on with the reason I asked to have lunch with me.

"Really? How did it went?" I know shes just trying to keep the conversation thats why she asked that.

"Fine. They approved my request for a month of vacation," THERE! I said it.

"Ang haba naman," she lowered her eyes and was playing with her table napkin. Shes a smart woman, I dont need to spell out the reason why Im leaving that long.

"May one week pa akong natira from last year. Tapos may two weeks na ako for this year. Yung last week, approved leave without pay." Tere sorted it out. Shes good at that. Make things work for everybody. And boss understood. I know although he didnt say it.

"I see." Do you really, Jaz? Do you really see how painful I feel right now I wanted to run away from you. From you and him!

"Mamimiss mo ba ko, Jaz?" That came out of my mouth before I could actually think about it. And I would beg all the gods for her to say yes.

She finally met my eyes, and I can see my own eyes reflected on her and I felt pathetic. I felt like a beggar begging for crumbs. Hungry for her love.

"Lately, parati naman kitang namimiss."

"Then, come with me!" Shit! Who cares! I needed to do this. My last effort to win her over because I know, she was almost mine!

My request was answered by her silence. I could see in her eyes the pain, the hopelessness and it hurt me more because I already know the answer even before she spoke.

"Im so sorry, Frank."

And like a broken man, I lowered my eyes and shoulder.

"Pick me, Jaz. Choose me! Why dont you?" Tangina naman Jaz! Una akong nanligaw sayo!

"Frank, please?"