Sleeping Arrangement

I had to drag her away from all her souvenir so we can eat dinner. She insisted on putting the shirt on the washing machine before she sat with me to eat the roasted chicken we bought on our way back home.

"Anong oras tayo pupunta sa bahay ng brother mo?"

"After breakfast? Gusto ko na kasi makita mga pamangkin ko."

"Yung Dad mo nandun na rin nun?"

"Lunch time pa dating nun."

"I see,"

"Maine, anong work mo sa Pinas?"

"Registered nurse ako. Maayos naman work ko sa atin." She said but I could sense her tone of sadness.

"Buti hindi mo naisipang mangibang bansa? Most of our nurses diba pumupunta ng abroad kasi mas malaki ang kita."

"I have my personal reason." She said.

"I understand." She doesnt seems want to talk about whatever thats making her sad. So I didnt push it.

"But may point ka alam mo? Most of my batchmates nasa US at Canada na. Ang lalaki na nga ng bahay sa Pilipinas eh. Pero ako alam mo, maayos naman ako eh. Hindi siguro kasing yaman mo pero mag-isa ko na lang kasi sa buhay kaya hindi ko na ginusto mag-abroad. Mas kailangan kasi ako ng mga kapwa pilipino natin eh."

"Alam mo, yan din ang reason ng Mom ko kaya kahit anong pilit ng Dad na magmigrate na kami dito sa London, hindi pumapayag si Mom kasi teacher yun sa public school. Iba daw yung fulfillment na nakukuha nya knowing shes helping create a better future for our country."

"Ikaw ba?"

"Im just here for vacation. Im lucky in a way na paggusto ko magbakasyon, nakakapunta ako dito because of my Dad. Pero Mom's boy ako eh. Kaya kung nasan si Mom nandun din ako. Besides maayos naman ang work ko, Department Head ako sa Accounting." If only Im not working with the woman who broke my heart and the guy she chose over me wasnt my boss' son, everything would have been more than fine.

"I see."

And since theres nothing much we can talk about, we ate in silence.

She just finished washing the dishes and taking her shirt from the washing machine.

"Ang galing! Tuyo na kaagad!" she clapped her hands.

"Patuyuin mo pa din. Para hindi mo na kailangang plantsahin bukas."

It was past ten pm and whether we like it or not, its time to sleep.

She was already on her yellow pajamas when she came out of the bathroom.

"Maine, seriously, okay lang talaga ako sa sofa."

"Comfortable naman din dito sa sahig eh."

"Maine..."

"Frank, antok na ko. Magtatalo pa ba tayo?"

I let out a loud sigh and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and change to a more comfortable clothes - shirt and pajama bottoms.

She was already on her side of the bed, lying down. I couldnt help but notice how cute her toes were. She painted her nails with yellow nail polish, same with the ones in her hands. Something, Jaz, will never paint her nails with.